1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latest Union Advice on the Virus?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by camdenjaycecj303, Aug 3, 2020.

1. NASUWT has put out new advice on working while the Virus lasts.

You can check their web site.

I assume NEU will have brought out new advice following recent events at the end of last week.

I recommend people with questions should e-mail their Union rather than trying to phone in.

2. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

The unions will be pulling every stunt in the book to prevent schools from reopening and all kids returning. Prepare for a barrage in the coming weeks of completely unrealistic 'not enough detail', 'more information needed', 'kids not safe', 'more information about testing, the second wave, Boris' big toenail, the long range weather forecast in the Orkneys' etc etc. Anything they can come up with, they will. There won't be a single helpful suggestion from any of these Corbynistas, as the loony left leaderships try to get their own back for humiliating them in the elections.

Bobbbs and TheHeadteachersOffice like this.
  3. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

This is from scientists whose job, I imagine, is to guide the non-scientific community and advise. Again, it'll depend largely on whether they are saying what the Govt wants to hear.
    I do not consider this a ' stunt'.

"Current testing and contact tracing is inadequate to prevent a second wave of coronavirus after schools in the UK reopen, scientists have warned.

Increased transmission would also result from parents not having to stay at home with their children, they say." BBC 04.08.20

sylvielopez likes this.
  5. MrsAnonymous

MrsAnonymous New commenter

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/world/middleeast/coronavirus-israel-schools-reopen.html

I suggest you read this and maybe keep an open mind.

Newidentity and ridleyrumpus like this.
  6. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

Well the EIS in Scotland has done a big, fat, zero as far as anything is concerned with schools going back next week.
    All I’ve had is an email putting the responsibility onto Union reps to make sure Risk Assessments are in place. All a bit late in the day when we go back after this weekend.

7. georgiatestpreparation

georgiatestpreparation New commenter

8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Today Sturgeon has just said she is expecting outbreaks in schools, especially secondaries. A politician admitting the truth, at last. Funny how England’s politicians keep banging on about schools being ‘safe’ when clearly they are not, unless, of course, Scotland’s virus is different to England’s.

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Or...maybe, just mebbes...they are right? And if your already impossible teaching job had just been royally shafted by A level downgrades, which some academies and schools use as ammo against their staff...why would you go out of your way to help a Tory government which had ignored you and disadvantaged your year 13s? I wouldn’t. And! This time, refusing to cooperate with a September return IS for the good of at least the former year 13 cheeldreen. Back to the spinning room, Boz...

ATfan and Catgirl1964 like this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Rare as Gove’s teeth, an honest parliamentary creature.

ATfan, Newidentity and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  11. Manolos

Manolos New commenter

If you read the guidelines from NEU website.. It is about 25 pages long. It does make it impossible for the schools to reopen...

12. Catgirl1964

Impossible for schools to reopen in the fashion of the current plan but, with other precautions such as half classes to allow for essential social distancing and mask wearing for all, maybe possible to try until all the outbreaks Nicola Sturgeon is also expecting start in English schools.

13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Having outbreaks in schools and describing schools as safe are not mutually exclusive statements.

Depends on the number and size of outbreaks, that there will be some is inevitable.

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I just wish that staff were treated with a bit more respect for our intelligence. To push the ' it's safe' line is an insult to everyone and sets schools up for a sound thrashing from parents if/when the second wave comes. Why not just admit that a return to school is going to be risky -at least people will avoid becoming complacent.

15. Catgirl1964

If the govt admitted it was risky, more cautious parents would choose to not send their children in whereas members of staff appear to have been given no choice. Realistic teaching staff recognise the dangers but just have to suck it up, taking as many precautions as they feel able, as I intend doing. As an at risk TA in a secondary state school, I will be wearing a mask indoors at all times and intend to keep a 2m distance whilst having come to terms with acknowledging I will not be able to fulfill my role effectively. So be it.

16. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

We all know it is not ‘safe’ to return to full-time schooling with full classes. The concept of year group bubbles at secondary level is ridiculous. Our risk to infection will be greatly increased. I will be teaching across all year groups with full classes. I am dreading the corridors at school, even with some measures in place. We all know how many ‘normal’ illnesses spread around as we hit the winter. I think the autumn and early spring terms are going to be quite disrupted, as we get hit with all the usual germs. I just wish the Government would be honest with the public. I also believe a blended learning approach is more suitable. Hope I’m wrong. Good luck to all and try to keep safe.

Jamvic, ATfan, Newidentity and 3 others like this.
  17. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter