1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latest Ofsted checklist?!

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by NQT1986, Jan 10, 2011.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

When we had the pleasure of Ofsted's company in 2008, we were given a list of all of the things Ofsted were looking for in each area eg if you were seen doing xyz-you would be given satisfactory in the 'Teaching and Learning' bit, but if you were doing xyzqpr; you would get Outstanding etc etc

Is there anything like this for current inspections?

Many thanks if you are able to help

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Why not just do whatever you normally do?

3. I used to believe this. Now that I have been through the Ofsted mangle resulting in Notice to Improve I get the contant message that we have to 'perform' to the Ofsted box-ticking frenzy in order to keep our school out of Special Measures. I do 'what I normally do' when its just me and the kids but when I am being observed I play the game. Sad but true.

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

True.

5. Click on my name and you should find a couple of checklists based on Ofsted's guidance to inspectors on what to look for. They are available free on my company website too, at notasweknowit.co.uk/freeresources.htm where you will also find a useful document from Bolton LA, which I helped with to some extent. This document does give an indication of different gradings.

6. Ofsted don't judge the overall quality of a lesson any more. This stopped in Sept 2009 and the document disappeared. Lessons are judged on the merits of progress, quality of teaching and learning, behaviour, assessment to support learning and anything else that is apparent in the lesson, such as care guidance and support. In the feedback to lessons, teachers get these grades, and there may be as many as 6 grades to report back. Probably the best way to get a feel for what a typically 'good' lesson would look like, look at the criteria for 'good' in the Evaluation Schedule under each of the headings.

7. The Bolton document is good in that it is based on the evaluation schedule and separates the various elements.

8. I should like to pint out that the posts on this thread are quite old now. Whilst the Ofsted-based check-lists are still on the free resources page mentioned above, the Bolton grid is no longer there. The page does still contain the latest Ofsted documents.