1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latest ad for trainee teachers leaves me reaching for the sick bucket

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It would have been a hogge’s toorde. As Chaucer put it. We’d have rinsed him!

2. Mrsmumbles

If you’re mentally stubborn and tough enough, you can squeeze out about one more year on full pay. In between time off. I wouldn’t recommend it though, the risks of wrecking your health are too high. Better to walk. These kids will all be walking out early.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady New commenter

It doesn't work like that.

A trainee who meets the criteria for a £26,000 bursary (eg. Geography degree 2:2) will receive the entire bursary amount during their PGCE year.

October - July - £2,000 payment each month

February - £3,000 extra payment

July - £3,000 extra payment

4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

There needs to be a ‘spoof’ teaching advert made, You Tube it.

The problem is, most upper level union leaders are just grasping VHS!

They are almost as bad as Gove. There should be one teachers union. They should all go in a cage and sort it out. Two, three years, *£*# me!

Vermin!

5. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Roy Keane had it right with the prawn sandwich brigade.

pepper5 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

WhAAAAAT? Really? Do you think they’d take an old teacher retraining in a shortage subject? Hmm!

pepper5 and JL48 like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

I think I will have a stab at Geograohy. Or maybe Biology. This makes total sense for young people to do the training now. I missed every single government grant and payout over the last 20 years. All of them. Hmmm.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. thekillers1

thekillers1 Established commenter

Show me an advert that reflects accurately on the other side of teaching and then I’ll applaud the idea, eg stress, workload, impossible targets.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Stuff being a teacher these days. However, can I just jack it in at the end of the course and still get paid?
    If so, where do I sign?

10. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

I want to write and star in the next recruitment ad for teaching (this has been a not so harmless fantasy of mine for some time, probably around the key times when each new campaign is released) - then there really would be a recruitment crisis!

After 17 years, I imagine writing something along the line of 'Father Ted' (but a teacher version - slightly better hair), where the amount of time in the job makes you 'evolve' and change to look like Father Jack (but a teacher version), reaching for fags and booze and attempting to spark up my own board marker in front of the children.

If young recruits (Father Dougal types) think that all schools and students look like they do in the ad, they are in for a bit of a nasty surprise. Yerrrrrrrrrr assssssssssssss!

Moony, thekillers, pepper5 and 5 others like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Yeah, me too, I’m bringing the coffees....

pepper5 likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Let’s do an online paired scripted version here!

(Tinkly plinkey-plonky music and the rising soar of violins. Close up on idealistic newbie teacher’s face)

It’s the ...gosh, you know, that moment when their adorable little faces light up...the penny-dropping moment...the joy of a really lively class, a team leader who really takes an interest in your career development...and the SATISFACTION of a really slick PowerPoint...THAT’s what drew me into teaching. ( old observer in shadowy background rolls eyes and purses withered lips.)

Next?

pepper5 and Babycakes77 like this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE OLDER TEACHER IN THAT LAST AD! SHOCKING AGEISM ! Sorry to yell but it’s outrageous. Capability culture has been absorbed into government propaganda adverts. Young teachers good, old ones bad.

14. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

26K paid during PGCE year? Doesn't have to be paid back under any conditions? What's to stop people grabbing the loot and then hoofing it? Must be a catch surely?

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I suspect there would be grounds for a legal challenge, the ad is misleading in the extreme.

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The funds are paid at intervals across the year. Plus, the course still needs to be paid for.

Surely, not many sane people would be prepared to waste a year of their lives on something they have no interest in, completing a course, surviving placements and writing essays etc. just for 26k (minus costs)?

This is slightly less than the national average salary and there are easier ways to earn this amount of money...

pepper5 likes this.
  17. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

My colleagues are great and I've learned so much from them - well - I WOULD have done, except they are all busy writing resources to sell on the TES because we haven't had a pay rise in five years.... And they are always keen to give me the opportunity to take on new challenges to expand my professional skills. Like - well -doing pretty much everything that management drop on us which is quite a lot actually. But that's OK, I'm told we learn by doing.

Except the children don't get to do much except watch PowerPoints and Youtube clips because the health and safety implications of turning on a bunsen burner require weeks of paperwork. In fact I think it's been a while since they've seen an actual experiment,

Cuts to a scene of children gathered around a single unlit bunsen burner. They have long hair and look a bit like cavemen.
    Teacher: look children: - fire!

He lights the flame. The children shriek in terror and leap in all directions, some out of the windows even.

Teacher: No! Wait! There's no need to be afraid! Fire is our friend!

18. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That really used to annoy me as a former Science teacher. New teachers often afraid to do any form of practical and God forbid a demonstration all out of fear of doing anything slightly dangerous.

I remember a few young teachers amazed that I was still doing the Thermit reaction or Alkali metals in water. Even more shocked when I told them that when you do Sodium and Water if it doesn't hit the ceiling you've not done it properly!

By showing the pupils this they learn but more importantly the also learn to respect the safety needed in experiments.

19. Mrsmumbles

OOH, look at me! I used to teach English for 20 years, have a PHD, but now, I’m....Geography Woman! Let’s play pedagogical mashups! Let’s not use the skills we have and pretend to have ones we don’t...for lots of lolly!
    IT
    IS
    MAAAAAAD....

pepper5 and SomethingWicked like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

I think you’ve for the script for the next DFE teacher recruitment advert right there. Yep.

pepper5 and Shedman like this.