1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latest ad for trainee teachers leaves me reaching for the sick bucket

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Definitely actorrrrs, for sure. They look too rested to be normal teachers! I bet the goons behind those ‘Educating XYZ’ tv shows wanted to groom those ‘teacher stars’ to get involved in the DFEUGH’s ad campaign. I bet those teachers told them no, rather roundly. Education from Yorkshire!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

TES meetup with a camera and make our own version?!!

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Oh isn’t it interesting that the comments facility has been blocked!

pepper5, tonymars and BetterNow like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Probs have got specially marked Party Cars as well....

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

What, you mean like Our Calvin? What a pompous man. Familiar to these forums. It’s all about me, me me.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

You have missed something. Honest depiction of reality. But don’t worry, it was a film made by the Tory government, so it’s not your fault!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

We could follow Calvin on his meteoric rise to Ed Sec...

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A bit like this?

upload_2018-2-4_13-45-0.png

10. Mrsmumbles

'For the Glorious Teacher Youth Movement only'...interlopers will be shot!

pepper5 likes this.
  11. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I saw a half-page ad in the Metro yesterday, promoting the click-bait £26000 tax-free bursary. None of the touchy-feely stuff about making a difference. It was very low on facts, trying to hook the unwary in. It really screamed of desperation. I also wondered how long you had to work as a teacher.

pepper5 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I wonder how long it is actually possible to work as a teacher before WRS leads to an early exit?

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had a drink and a chat with two of my ex-colleagues a couple of days ago. One is in their very early 50s and the other in their late 40s. Both taught or teach at a very successful school.

The older one is now retired and doesn't really want anything to do with schools again. The younger one is leaving at the end of this academic year and is completely disinterested.

10 years ago it was all very different.

pepper5, Mrsmumbles, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  14. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

The really sad thing is that they go and spend a fortune on these adverts, but do nothing about retention. Which means that even when schools do have enough teachers, they are not going to be very experienced. The demographic of this profession is shaped like a skateboard ramp, but with one end mostly out of the classroom and in SLT

pepper5, tonymars, Mrsmumbles and 4 others like this.
  15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Well.... and I am going for the jugular here....... the young MFL teacher...... you know the one with the penchant for dramatic arts..... the one who has probably been told that most of the lesson should be in the target language.....

" Je me reveille..." cue rapid eye movement (hey hey R.E.M.!!)

'Oui, oui... non..... er almost '

Epic fail...did he not know 'presque' or did he lose his faith in his compliant pupils? If he couldn't get that basic correct for a costly tv commercial what must the rest have been like?

pepper5, JL48, Mrsmumbles and 2 others like this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I worked for 30+ years as a class room teacher and never sought promotion beyond HOD. Working for all those years as I have in the last 5 or so would surely have seen me off. I finally pack it all in June when my last exam groups leave. looking back I think the best times for education in my career was under the last Labour government. We moaned about the budget and Ofsted then but compared to now it was a golden era; money for new schools and significant uplifts in teachers' pay. Education now is about to fall off a cliff.

17. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Agree completely.

Up until 2010/11 I was generally enjoying the job as to an extent you felt value by both Government and SLT.

By 2015 when I left I was desperate to get out. I just couldn't put up with the increased hours, micromanagement, targets, data, unrealistic expectations. I actually think that another 12-18 months in the job would have led to some very serious illness.

Most of the people I worked with were also desperate to get out including some RQTs.

Teaching is no longer a job for life.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The average teaching "career" is about 10 years now isn't it ? - or something like that

Coming down all the time I reckon.

pepper5, tonymars, Mrsmumbles and 3 others like this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

I bet the poor kids don’t get the full payout for about three years after qualifying. And they want them trained up in six months and out on the front line! Ouch.

pepper5 and eljefeb90 like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Totally agree. Worked perfectly successfully and happily from 1990s to 2010. 14 nice years. Rot started 2011 for me, intensified with bully SLT appointed 2013, suddenly health collapses for the next 2 years, zero support, constant bullying, Friday 4pm meetings and targets, left 2015. What a difference a Gove makes.

pepper5 and silkywave like this.