1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latest ad for trainee teachers leaves me reaching for the sick bucket

Discussion in 'Education news' started by binaryhex, Jan 29, 2018.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

The latest advert begging people to sign up to train to teach, in return for up to £26000 is rubbish. It flits from one set of compliant, seriously interested children to another. The teachers all seem so relaxed, refreshed and keen. This might be true in a Grammar school but forgets to mention that in most non-selective schools, poor, low level disruptive behaviour is a serious problem for teachers. Most teachers would feel like Christmas has come early if they taught children like in the tv advert. And too many teachers are struggling with stress, workload and mental health issues.

Pass the sick bucket, please.

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

Yes, but imagine how few people they would attract if the advert was made by TEACHERS:

pepper5, sabrinakat, num3bers and 6 others like this.
  3. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

I'm surprised no enterprising teacher has made one and put it on you tube

4. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I’ve heard stories that people take the tax free bursary to put as a deposit on a house and never enter teaching.

People don’t want to be teachers for many reasons, if I were starting my career today I wouldn’t be a teacher. No respect from the government/media/parents, 4 years at university to earn less than my friends in sales and the only benefit is the holidays (if you can even count them as holidays when in reality they are ‘working from home’ days).

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

These adverts remind me of the way the Nazis used orchestras playing classical music to dupe the Red Cross and others into believing that they were running humane camps.

pepper5, JL48, Babycakes77 and 9 others like this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's full!

silkywave, dleaf12, lanokia and 9 others like this.
  7. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I'm curious to know who these individuals really are.

Are they just people who have been provided by a casting agency? ('Last week your mission was to be the 'satisfied consumers' on the latest chocolate confection ad., this week your mission impossible is to convince the unemployed out there - not necessarily unemployed teachers ;) - that teaching is wonderful.')

Or are they really teachers? In which case I would like to know from their colleagues, or friends of colleagues - anonymously - what they are really like when the cameras are not rolling.

A bean spiller would be really welcome. :D

pepper5, sabrinakat, tonymars and 3 others like this.
  8. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Well certainly some are the same as last year. Well a bit like a soap opera, if you last past the first episode things must be good in the world of eduenders.

Shedman and stonerose like this.
  9. stonerose

........................also what are their fees!

pepper5 likes this.
  10. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

At least one is a teacher. I know someone who knows her.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:Lots , probably most jobs have sh -it times, but its not normal practise to advertise so in job adverts.

pepper5 and Shedman like this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Tory government propaganda for the naïve and unwary.
    Shameless.

13. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

The advert-makers are forgetting that all the adults in this country have been children and we've all been to school. We've seen for ourselves what the classroom is really like. Some of it was really good, but some of it was appalling.

pepper5, tonymars, Mrsmumbles and 2 others like this.
  14. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

Probably a bunch of Young Tories who happen to teach!
    They'll be getting their "fast track" up the greasy pole soon for their "commitment, enthusiasm and resilience".

15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

I thought you were supposed to go to a school in an incredibly difficult area and "make a difference" to the lives of scores of under-privileged but charming and likeably cheeky young people. The kids in the adverts don't seem to be like that. I must have missed something.

pepper5, sabrinakat, tonymars and 4 others like this.
  16. stonerose

Wonder if they will still be smiling when their school grabs chunks of their salaries at source to pay for car parking as Swansea plans to do.

Or perhaps they've made a deal with management to have specially marked car spaces if they carry on being poster boys and girls for teach. recruitment.:)

pepper5, tonymars and Shedman like this.
  17. asnac

asnac Established commenter

For anyone who hasn't seen the ads, there's one here.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well I'm not violent person, but it probably best I don't watch that again

19. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

:):):):)

pepper5, thekillers and stonerose like this.
  20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

False pretenses?