1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

later starting schooling

Discussion in 'Education news' started by DYNAMO67, Nov 10, 2015.

1. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Middlemarch, Anonymity and snowyhead like this.
  2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

But remember, it's for the children! We have to coddle the wee teenagers so that they all know that life is all for them....my own toddler? He doesn't need to see his own mommy

Anonymity and snowyhead like this.
  3. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Anonymity and snowyhead like this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This seems to reappear every few years. Unless they have a way of extending the day to 25 or 26 hours it's just going to shift forwards after a little while rather than go away.

I remember some research that found that going through puberty means that essentially teenagers wake up every day with the equivalent of jet-lag and take a while to catch up again which is alluded to in the article. Don't want to go to bed, don't want to get up, that's teenagers for you, we were the same.

Basically it's what @Treefayre2 said.

Middlemarch, Anonymity and snowyhead like this.
  5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Some of those sixth formers could well be starting apprenticeships when they leave school. Their sleep patterns won't change overnight (my son is 24 and still has trouble with the morning) but that's fine their employers will be very understanding and will, no doubt, alter the company's operating hours to suit them.

Anonymity, DYNAMO67 and FolkFan like this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I used to get up at 5am in my teens so I could go and do a paper round before school. If they went to bed earlier they might be able to get up earlier.

Middlemarch likes this.
  7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If secondary school started at 1:30, teachers wouldn't need to be in until 12. This would give teachers with young families the whole morning at home with their baby/toddler; they could take their primary school aged children to school and go to morning events like assembly and sports day. They would actually see more of their children than they do at the moment - a few hours in the evening when everyone is tired. I can see the advantages, personally.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I don't know Kartoshka. I assume that staff would be forced to work that morning time to make up for the inability to work in the evenings, considering some lessons would have to regularly finish at 7-8pm?

9. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

;)
    I'm afraid I totally disagree. Maybe this would work for a short time, but my children need me in the evening as well. Who on earth will look after them so late in the evening? Give them tea? Put them to bed? Should my time with them be reduced to just an hour before school? Assemblies etc. don't happen that often...

I HATE mornings... Yet I manage because I have to. Some of them don't need to be even more entitled... (Obviously most are fab;))

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  10. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

I don't know where the first wink came from o_O

11. Treefayre2

I'd call it dead time.

Give me a 7am school start with a 1pm finish and you are talking.

12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I have a young family and would prefer a later start, so it's a matter of personal preference - larks and owls, etc. Also, lots of working parents would be happy for school to finish later.

Surely it's not news that teenagers don't like to get up - the real mystery is why schools shifted their days to be earlier and earlier. When I was at school in the 80s, we started later and finished school at 4.15pm.

Kartoshka likes this.
  13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

In some countries, such as Germany, don't they start (& finish) the school day earlier than in the UK?

14. Treefayre2

Yes Folkfan - many schools throughout the Europe have far more sensible school days - starting 8 or earlier, finishing around 1 or 2 pm.

If you have kids - too bad - don't expect the world to revolve around them.

15. Kartoshka

I can't comment on your children because I don't know your personal circumstances.

Let's say the children live in a two-parent family with a dad who works 9-5 and a mum who teaches 12-7. Mum can look after the children in the morning (get up, eat breakfast, not rush around because mum doesn't need to be at school for a good couple of hours) and dad can look after them in the evening (eat dinner, put them to bed - mum might be in time for a story and kiss if her school isn't too far away).

Let's say the children live in a single-parent family with a mum who teaches 12-7. This is obviously more tricky, but it's the same amount of childcare as if she were teaching 9-4. The children could eat dinner at childcare and be put to bed by mum after she's picked them up. As they wouldn't need to get up as early in the mornings (because mum wouldn't need to be at work as early), it wouldn't matter if bedtime was a little later.

If school doesn't start until 1:30, why would you only get an hour with them in the mornings? If your current school starts at 8:30, I doubt you get in before 7 at the earliest, which is why I suggested 12 as a start time. As children tend to get up around 7, you'd get 3-4 hours with them before you'd need to leave for work. Even if you decided to go in to work earlier to get planning etc done, you could still have a couple of hours with them first thing... similar to your current couple of hours in the evening, just at a different time of day.

It's different from the current system, but not intrinsically unworkable.

16. Morninglover

Aren't you assuming that all schools will follow the same pattern? I thought this was supposed to benefit teenagers? So presumably primary schools would continue as now - making life almost impossible for parents with children in both types of school!

17. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I will say again though, surely you are ignoring the necessity to work outside of the school day? A lot of teachers now on a traditional school day are working until 7 or 8 o'clock. I think I have it OK, i normally leave work at 5.30-6.00. That is a good 2.5 hours a day after school ends and that is normally it. It is all well and good saying people have this time in the mornings, but surely people are going to have to use some of this to do the prep work normally done after school? Unless people are going to work until 12 o'clockish every night (by the time they have got home etc.) and for most that will be unrealistic.

Similarly, I don't see the virtue of this system as things like parents' evenings, awards evenings etc will have to drop totally. Parents won't be available in the mornings one assumes..

18. Kartoshka

I'm not ignoring anything. Of course teachers work outside of the school day and would continue to do so if the hours of the school day were changed. Let's say the teacher currently works an extra 4 hours after the end of the school day. If the school day changed to start later, the teacher will still need to work an extra 4 hours, but when these hours are worked is up to the teacher. He/she could do them in the morning, or 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, or whatever suited his/her personal circumstances. Similarly, in the current system teachers with young children will often not work through until 7 or 8pm, but rather take a break to spend time with their children after school and before bedtime, and then work after the children are in bed.

19. Kartoshka

Ah, I see what you mean. No, I was assuming primary schools would stay as they currently are, which I now I realise might be difficult for a teacher who was parent to primary school aged children. But in that scenario you still get more time with them in the morning, you can (hopefully!) get all of your work out of the way so that when you get home in the evening you don't have the pressure of the work still to do when the kids are in bed - you can just relax with them. Not perfect, but then, neither is the current system!

20. Morninglover

What if you have children in both a primary and secondary school? Two school commutes? Not good environmentally as well as bonkers for family life...

NB Changing the times different stages of schools work would also be incredibly difficult for any working parents, not just teachers.

Won't happen....