1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Late

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by perrolobo, Aug 9, 2012.

1. perrolobo

perrolobo New commenter

I have been tasked with coming up with a policy for consequences for children arriving repeatedly late for school. Any ideas?

I'm hoping to find something that will really make a change. In many cases it is the parents who are responsible for lateness not the children so we want to find some way to motivate them to get their children to the school gate earlier.

2. perrolobo

perrolobo New commenter

I have been tasked with coming up with a policy for consequences for children arriving repeatedly late for school. Any ideas?

I'm hoping to find something that will really make a change. In many cases it is the parents who are responsible for lateness not the children so we want to find some way to motivate them to get their children to the school gate earlier.

3. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Is this Primary or Secondary?

4. Persistant late arrival at school is punishable by means of a fixed penalty notice of £50, or £100 if not paid within 28 days. Harsh?

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Secondary - SLT manning all entrances to school and 'booking' those who arrive late with a lunch time DT that day, supervised by SLT.
    A second late arrival in a fortnight or a month and the pupil gets an after-school DT of 20 mins. Another, and it's a 30 min after school DT ... 40 mins ... 1 hour etc.
    Even if a pupil is dropped off by a parent, it can still be the child who has delayed the journey by not getting up on time.

6. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Follow up each lateness by contacting parents. Find out exactly why they are late. There could be many reasons and many will involve the child and not the parent. If you are able to dig around you will often unearth lots of pastoral issues (some of those will be school related) and also be able to bring parents on side as they struggle to get their children to school. Punishment minutes late = minutes detention.

7. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Don't fall into the trap of making this too complicated or groovy. The purpose of a consequence system is to deter and encourage behaviour one way or the other. So it doesn't have to be ironic, or fiddly. The best way to ensure that a system works, and continues to work, is by making it as streamlined and simple as possible.

Parents are, sadly, involved in the lateness; but there are many factors behind the scenes that we don't see, so be careful before making any snap judgements about the causes of lateness. that said, it is up to them to make sure their children are there on time; that's the contract of having children.

I wouldn't bother with complicated sanctions of 'you were three minutes late so you can serve three minutes detention' (which just sounds a nightmare to administer, and pretty pointless too- who cares about three minute detentions?). Instead, if a child is late, just put them in for half and hour's detention ( or more- but a flat tariff) that day. Then make sure that they attend, and if they don't, escalate the sanction.

Also, make sure that the person administering the detentions is a bit of a hard ass. This isn't time for lovely chats and workshops on communication skills. Detentions must deter, otherwise there is NO point doing them. So get the kids doing some work in the session- NOT their homework, or the sanction becomes an opportunity. It should be something dull and boring. The whole point of detentions is that the kids shouldn't want to be there. If you make it pleasant then they don't mind coming back. A good deterrent should have the aim of making itself obsolete.

And if they don't attend the detention, then it would be best if someone could make the phone call home THAT day to ask why/ inform parents. Then parents could be called in pronto, and kids would get a shock. In almost all cases this will work, with some repetition, as parents don't want to be called in every week. It's hard work for you and your team, but you want to fix this, right?
    Good luck to you

Tom

Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him. His latest book, Teacher, is out now, published by Bloomsbury

8. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

*formatting by Satan*

9. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I think that all kids.. and parents should be allowed to be late just the once before someone jumps down their throats and throws them in detention.
    A note/slip in the afternoon register addressed to the child noting that they were late that morning and informing them that further lateness will result in a detention might be a better deterrent for the huge majority of kids who don't want to be late or in detention.
    Second late = detention
    Third late... detention and parent contact

I trust that the form teacher would have a conversation with the child... just in case granny died in the car on the way to school, they ran over next door's cat or they were in fact carjacked at gunpoint. Might be worth checking before slapping them with a detention.

10. One thing I'd like to add to this discussion is to be aware of pupils who arrive by bus being late. When I was at school I always left the house in time and arrived at the bus stop 5mins before it was due... but it was sometimes late. In fact there were a few occasions when it didn't show up at all (or so late we'd given up) -then we only made it to school if we found some parents to take us. This was v. likely in the spring when floods would stop the bus before it ever reached us as it went through all the countryside first.

11. I think the reason behind the lateness is important to investigate rather than dishing out punishments. From my experience with my daughter who relied on public transport, sometimes it is impossible to get there on time when you have 2 buses to catch to travel 7 miles.

12. I have been combatting this problem for a yr now! Introduced a system and kept tweaking it. This is this yrs version for lates to school:
    1 late = Tutor gives a warning
    2 lates = 8am in school the next morning
    3 lates = 8am in school the next 3 mornings
    4 lates = 8am in school the next 5 mornings
    5 lates = Saturday am detention
    The Saturday detentions don't happen often because the students who are persistently late have to be on time for a series of mornings.

13. broberg

broberg New commenter

Worked well when i went to school in the year splot. However my old headmaster Mr Hood is no longer in charge and present leadership in most schools is so divorced from the 'chalkface' that they fail their children: Not to mention their staff.
    (What happens to teachers when they morph into airy fairy butterfly managers forgetting the very reason they went into teaching)

14. at our school, we have a policy, two lates in a month, 1 day suspension. Lates are only 15 minutes. After that they are not admitted. Usually the suspension takes place 2 days after the second late. It means you need to have someone to record the lates and track and process the lates. First week of school average 16 out of 25 students were late. new policy only 2 students late today. harsh but it works. of course we are flexable if lots are parents are late because of a traffic accident or something out of the ordinary.
    Primary School

15. I think the reasons why they are late are very important. I lived in a rural village with poor public transport and luckily had a designated school bus, however this bus went round 5 villages 5 miles apart and then to school. We were often late due to sitting in traffic because we hit the main road at the wrong time of day. It would have been quicker to walk along the main road but due to health and safety obviously that wasnt an option. If I needed to stay after school, I couldn't get home until 7 at night when my dad could pick me up.
    Not everyone has a reliable bus system or parents who can drive you like a taxi driver or live within walking distance.
    I think missing 30mins of form time equating to missing a whole day of lessons is very extreme and I'd be worried it would be abused.