1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Late walker?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ladybug3, Mar 16, 2011.

1. My brother didn't walk til 16 months- he was the youngest of 5 so my mum was pleased not to buy shoes rather than worried! I think anything up to 18 months is normal and doctor's don't worry until 2!

2. doctors not doctor's... shameful!

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I know a couple of people whose kids didn't walk until 16 months. One of them, a boy, is really tall, so i don't know if that makes a difference. Although my son is really tall and walked bang on average really (between 12 and 13 months).
    I think often if they walk later, their vocabulary is better. My son's vocab isn't bad, but probably could be better, but he's incredibly active.
    I don't think you need to worry. He'll walk when he's ready (and then you will see that nothing is safe, and spend a fortune on shoes!!) x

4. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

My LO is nearly 14 months and is nowhere near walking, he can't even stand alone, despite the fact he has been cruising easily since 10 months. His speech is not developed either (but we are a bilingual household) he can't say a single word, only very recently has started babbling a lot. I am not worried, he will do things in his own time, but do get a bit irritated when people (especially family) make comments.

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I've read that bilingual children are slower to speak, but think of the advantages when they're older! I'm assuming one of you is Italian? I teach French, but i'm not a native speaker, so i will wait until my son is a bit older before teaching him French, although we do have a couple of French books which we read to him.
    No-one is going to care who was first to walk/talk etc when they're at school!

6. My daughter couldn't stand, even with support, until 14 months and walked at 17 months. As others have said, her language was very advanced.
    My almost 16 month old can't stand yet, even if you hold him up! Also can't crawl or bum shuffle so can only move at all by getting on his tummy and then pushing himself backwards! The HV wants to refer him to the physio but I've managed to buy him a bit more time so he needs to start making some effort by 18 months!

7. Don't worry - they all get there eventually. :)
    My daughter didn't walk until fairly late, but she started talking very early.

8. Snap - lots of babble but no specific words and no walking - just cruising and lots of climbing at 13 months.

9. I didn't walk confidently until over 18 months but started talking at 11 months. My OH walked at 9 or 10 months and didn't talk til later. You can tell- I'm more academic and he's incredibly coordinated and sporty! It looks like our girl- luckily- has a bit of both of us which is great. My mum asked the HV if she should worry about me not walking and was told no!

10. I was 18 months when I started walking. You wouldn't know, I'm really good at it now.[​IMG] Some are late, some early- it means nothing.

11. I walked at 15 months and my brother at 18 months.
    My daughter walked at 11 months and my mother thought it was 'freaky'. I think that late walkers tend to talk earlier, my daughter didn't use any words at all until 15 months. She had no need to talk when she could climb and get it :)
    Your son sounds completely normal to me.

12. My little girl only started walking properly last month at 20 months old. Now she is running around and creating havoc! I know how worrying it is, especially with people making helpful comments like "she's not walking YET??". Just wait till he does walk as the running starts soon after!

13. ***. Getting REAL fed up now. LO still 15 months and not walking. Now HV wants to have his development assessed and maybe refer for physio. Why can't people just leave us alone?! x

14. Can you say no? Is he cruising? (Sorry can't remember) My friend's baby is 16 months and doesn't walk yet but she's not been attacked by the dreaded HV!

15. In fact- she's almost 17 months. My friend isn't bothered at all. Can you just hide from the HV?!

16. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Exactly, I don't think I've seen my health visitor since last year and no plans to go anytime soon.
    15 months is way too early to start investigating, I think it is more like 2 years.
    x

17. I sometimes think they are so quick to assess, it makes us feel like terrible parents. I know of a couple of children 'investigated' who are fine.
    My nephew only started walking at 18 months or so- but once he did walk, he was dam fast... but he is a typical happy, bright toddler- nothing wrong with him, or his mother!
    15 months is far too early, I have a friend with a 15 month old girl who isn't walking and they aren't worried.,

I think I would resist for now