1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Late starters in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Maryja, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Maryja

Maryja New commenter

For MFL leads: how does your school handle the issue of late starters in MFL, or is it an issue for you at all? That is, a pupil starts in Y8 who hasn't done any MFL (homeschool or other background?)

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

It depends on the pupil's ability. If they are reasonably bright give them a copy of the year 7 book as well as year 8 one . Give them year 7 worksheets and work books. Tell them they can join in the year 8 lesson and when it gets too hard they are to work through the year 7material. They can attempt all of the year 8 stuff if they want. Assessment wise you can give them both assessments or whichever one they are happy with. Pair them with a native speaker if you have one in the group. Let them join in the year 8 games and stress that they are to learn material that is new with the rest of the group. If the pupil is very weak overall you might investigate some kind of support.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

What language is it? Use it as a chance to refresh phonics (sound/spelling patterns) for everybody in the class. It's probably the most important thing to sort out if they are going to go straight into the Year 8 lessons.

4. Maryja

Maryja New commenter

Thank you both. This is very helpful.

5. Maryja

Maryja New commenter

It's French.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

For me it would depend on the self regulation of the student. If they are the sort that will work hard on it in their own time then not an issue.

7. Maryja

Maryja New commenter

Agreed. It’s more the teacher I am looking to support here, with ideas and resources to assist. I think it’s only a real problem when a student has other learning needs or is perhaps struggling with workload/several languages. Thanks for the help, everyone- if anyone thinks of any other hints, I’d be grateful