1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Late seventies around the Orwell estuary

Discussion in 'Personal' started by By_the_Shiny_Brook, Dec 20, 2015.

1. By_the_Shiny_Brook

By_the_Shiny_Brook Established commenter

The Orwell estuary is remarkable for its ecology, geology, history, sailing and of course, public houses. The latter has always been my first attraction and here some photographs taken during the seventies in this area.

First off: The Butt & Oyster at Pin Mill, once a landing point for much cargo. Thames sailing barges used to be common, less so today I believe,.

chelm 1.jpg

chelm 2.jpg

coffeekid likes this.
  2. By_the_Shiny_Brook

On the way to Pin Mill via Woolverstone. The Butt & Oyster visible in the distance - a Thames sailing barge just visible on the left.

chelm 3.jpg

coffeekid likes this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I love these sorts of photos for the incidental details of a time past.

Small petrol stations with a couple of pumps and someone who filled up for you; "Butt" meaning a barrel; the feeling that hairstyles more than anything else are accurate chronological indicators; proper photos are ones in black and white.

lexus300 and sabrinakat like this.
  4. By_the_Shiny_Brook

Yes, those tiny petrol stations all but died out by the early eighties, which was something of a bind for those with motor-powered boats.

I agree about the monochrome. I rarely shot in colour at all.

This struck me for its stark concrete geometry: temporarily placed presumably for constructing prior to the Orwell Bridge (which was some years off). I might be wrong.

chelm 4.jpg

magic surf bus and cuteinpuce like this.
  5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

How far apart in time were the photos in the first and second posts as the B+W one shows boats of a slightly different vintage than the first?

6. By_the_Shiny_Brook

I think there is probably 2 years in it. The colour ones are 1979 I think.

7. Didactylos4

Oddly enough that fits the bill entirely.
    It was just idle curiosity as I was pottering about the estuary at about that time myself though the mooring was further up just below where the bridge went in

8. By_the_Shiny_Brook

I think I know the spot, more of a modern area - the sort you find in the Mediterranean.

The foreshore - difficult to navigate in parts, and a wonderful source of winkles, if free food is your thing.

chelm 5.jpg

9. Didactylos4

Definitely not as scenic as Pin Mill or the Butt and Oyster but the moorings were a LOT cheaper even back then :)

10. By_the_Shiny_Brook

Yes, that would be the one.

Did you ever get to drink at the Butt?

Two more from Pin Mill - this time the Thames racing barges visible

chelm 6.jpg

chelm 7.jpg

11. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Although I agree with you in most respects, the pictures are from a long time ago.

The newly built marina area in Ipswich is quite sterile. Those from a different era have been razed, newer developments are just anodyne - mostly university campus and flats with pretentions to being apartments. The small yachts in the area are "nice" too, but nothing really feels any older than yesterday.

Other buildings which line the river bank towards Ipswich Railway station are in an appalling state. There are two churches within spitting distance of each other which are barely standing up, along from Salthouse Street (?). One half finished building, it looks almost derelict. It reminds me of Docklands before the area became sought after...In fact, I am quietly surprised why it isn't already an up and coming area.

Which brings me to the fact that Ipswich is only 1h 20mins from London Liverpool St- I think it's about 1h 10mins to Stratford! WOW- I my commute into inner London was 1h 30mins each way- and I lived within M25!!

Anyway- back to the OP- Woodbridge is also wonderful too. The walk over the footbridge from Woodbridge train station and along the river is just lovely, you probably have some wonderful pictures from there too.

SSS

12. Didactylos4

Is that the one up the creek opposite the cement works?
    If so I agree with the description

13. slingshotsally

Sorry Didactylos4,

I have never lingered in the area long enough the find out- I went to Isaac's once.

[​IMG]

We went for a walk up from there. It looked so brand spanking new!! But what happened to the history?
    SSS

14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Fantastic depth of field in this one (btw hopeless at photography myself)

15. By_the_Shiny_Brook

This might help

16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

This would make a good case for abstraction, fot those who only say they like 'representational' work.

17. slingshotsally

Thanks for bringing the area alive for me! I very close to this part of Ipswich and Orwell, but didn't realise how lovely it could be.

SSS

18. By_the_Shiny_Brook

Thank you. That was partly in mind at the time but nothing came of it,

I am pleased you are enjoying these. Ipswich docks was superb before the closure - so full of huge ships, strange smells, curious old buildings.

I wonder which boat is Mr.Didactylos' in this 1978 photograph take with my Kiev 4 rangefinder?

dock 2.jpg

cissy3 likes this.
  19. Didactylos4

I would have settled for any of them Shiny
    Sadly that is too far upstream for the mooring I referred to
    And it wasn't my boat.
    That particular joy came much later

20. Didactylos4

Though I admit, given a choice the Lowestoft boat would be my favourite