1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Late night meetings

Discussion in 'Governors' started by laura5944, Jun 22, 2012.

1. I have been asked to attend a govenors meeting at 7.30 in the evening. I am 7 months pregnant and will have been on a school trip throughout the day and a staff meeting straight after school. I will then need to stay in school until the meeting time as it is quite a journey back home for dinner to then return not long later, let alone worrying about petrol costs. It will have been a long day as it is and I really can't see myself lasting until this time! I have stayed til 6 the past few evenings writing reports and am not in any fit state for anything when I get home. Do I have to stay for the meeting? I've asked for different times, ie much earlier or even a different day, we all know how stressful school trips can be, but to no avail. Any ideas/help/suggestions please?

2. I have been asked to attend a govenors meeting at 7.30 in the evening. I am 7 months pregnant and will have been on a school trip throughout the day and a staff meeting straight after school. I will then need to stay in school until the meeting time as it is quite a journey back home for dinner to then return not long later, let alone worrying about petrol costs. It will have been a long day as it is and I really can't see myself lasting until this time! I have stayed til 6 the past few evenings writing reports and am not in any fit state for anything when I get home. Do I have to stay for the meeting? I've asked for different times, ie much earlier or even a different day, we all know how stressful school trips can be, but to no avail. Any ideas/help/suggestions please?

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I was a teacher governor and pregnant at the time too. Send your apologies- we often had governors not turn up without even a phone call.
    It was only a problem if there were not enough of us to be "quorate" I think that is the correct term.
    BPG

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Laura,
    (1) What's your role? I'd assumed Staff Governor but I'm wondering about that as "I have been asked to attend a govenors meeting" makes it sound as if you aren't a governor yourself
    (2) How long ago was the date of this governing body set? Many GBs, most probably, set the dates for all their meetings at the beginning of the school year so if yours daoes that the date may have been set back in the Autumn term.
    (3) What sort of meeting is it? ie, Is it a formal governing body meeting for all governors?

5. Yes, it is staff governor, should have said sorry! Original meeting was set for last week but we didnt have enough people attending, therefore cancelled. New time and date has been thrown around over email all week. It's a curriculum meeting.

6. Rott Weiler

Assuming you don't have a starring role at the Curriculum Committee just send your apologies to the clerk and give it a miss. Strcitly speaking you don't have to explain why you can't attend but it would be polite to say briefly that, eg, you'll have be on school journey that day and need to be at hom,e in the evening so won't be able to attend the meeting.

7. No, no starring role, many thanks to both of u for advice

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Can I just add my support for the idea that you just send your apologies? And don't feel bad about not going, please!

9. Anyone is allowed not to attend. Just send your apologies.

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Look, you will notice at main governors meetings that every time someone sends their apologies. You are all volunteers. You are NOT PAID to attend governors meetings. If you can't go, send apologies. Nothing will happen, because nothing CAN happen - you are a volunteer.

11. Rott Weiler

Other than, if you don't attend full governors meetings, you can be removed as a governor for non-attendance after a period of time.

12. Don't worry about not attending. Just send in your apologies. With the best will in the world a Governor can not attend every meeting during their term of office. Don't feel guilty.