1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Late Letter of Motivation

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Chica21, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I've just sent a letter to a school in a West African country that has had and continues to have serious political problems and violence. My reasons for wanting to take a position at the school are as much about the school as my passion for the history of the country and the region in general. I feel, wanting to be succinct in my cover letter and CV, that I did not express this passion and that it may benefit me in the application process as I'm sure they are looking for people who know what they are getting into.

I'm tempted to follow up my CV and cover letter with a 'letter of motivation' outlining my passion for the politics of the region and my wish to teach the future leaders of the country. How would this be seen by the administration? My feeling is it couldn't hurt..

2. Im a great believer in making direct communication. Id ring and speak to them directly. I assuem you are travelling a long way and in a special situation a human face to an application will assist both parties.

3. chica21, if you say you're not a political activist, ok, I believe you, but starting out presenting a passion for politics could reasonably confuse a HoS into thinking you might not know where to draw the line.
    So it would be better not to be taken for one by a HoS.
    In terms of an introduction, do you really want to start out saying: I know it's been bad there, I know it will be difficult, or do you want to present the character qualities that you have and that it takes to overcome those issues while avoiding sounding negative about certain aspects of the place you want to move to? You can go into detail about showing you know what troubles the country has been through at an interview. And have a better gauge for what your listener's attitude about it is then. If none of that sounds reasonable to you, then don't follow it. I'm just trying to point out that there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.