1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last week of term

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by JodieG91, Jul 11, 2015.

1. JodieG91

JodieG91 New commenter

Hey. So I've been lucky to get some supply work for the last week of term, I was there for two days last week and then all of next week. It's a Year 1 class in a lovely little school. I'm just finding it difficult to think of simple ideas for activities and lessons in the last week. Obviously I don't want to start anything too new or anything that will cost/use a lot of resources. We're using the Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch as our book for the week as the topic for the term was 'seaside'. I've got a few literacy based ideas: speech bubbles, a recipe for Mrs Grinling's book. Also got the idea of creating a disgusting sandwich to keep the seagulls away (wont actually be making the sandwich). Numeracy I'm finding a little more difficult and then the afternoons. Anybody with some inspiration would be greatly appreciated!

2. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

How about doing some work about beach safety linked to both lighthouses and fact that children may well be visiting them during summer? For maths you could use the book one is a snail ten is a crab? There are resources linked to it on internet including some in tes

3. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Have a look at primaryresources.com site for various bits you can use.

4. Along with the beach safety,you could maybe put in a bit of - slip slop slap - posters etc about being safe in the sun??? Or perhaps design your own picnic basket - what would you put in it? You could make sandwiches and have a 'beach picnic' outside - get children to bring in sunhats and sunglasses etc and play holiday music etc

You could also show them a quick ppt of lighthouses and get them to design their own and perhaps build them using junk???

For maths you could do addition and subtraction using shells perhaps or problems around the seagulls eating so many sandwiches - how many are left etc or maybe a bit of data handling - how many sandwiches are eaten each day of the week...

Just off the top of my head!! Have fun!! I am in a Y1 class this Friday - bit random and probably last day until September - not had any work for a while!

5. The last week of term! If it is the last day I would recommend having a film with you suitable for the class. I also bring in my treats bag and hand out sweets for the end of the day. You could put out word searches and music during lessons. Write a letter to your teacher thanking them for a great term!

I hope you will use these next time it is the end of term!

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

BST

Instead of sweets, what about book marks they could make or colour?

7. Good plan! I might do this as well! One child could have an allergy to the sweets I give. The bookmark could say well done from (your name).