1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last week of term?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by perky_panda, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I teach Y4/5 and was wondering what to do for the last week of term, have one day transition and the last day planned but the other three I still want to be working but am also aware that it is the last week, any fun maths ideas? or topic-y things to last 3 days?

2. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

You mean you don't have to wash out trays, disinfect rulers and WD-40 scissors!!! My last 3 days will consist of these treats, and ejecting a years worth of stuff I will never need again from my cupboards. I will also have to wash my lego, duplo, multilink etc. The joys.

3. know Im going away from your thread but who/what did you do for your famous people topic? We are going onto a creative curriculum in Sept and this is my first topic. Any tips?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you get them to imagine they are famous and write/draw/role play what they will do to become famous?

How old are they? Can they sort out/tidy up/take down displays/etc?

5. Sorry, not much help as I am hoping for ideas too!
    We are going to do some origami, making boats to finish an aztec display for parents open evning on Monday, but after that not sure!! Got to finish making games that we started a couple of weeks ago, that takes a while and they love it. Then they can play theirs and each others.
    My kids will draw and colour, but not for 3 whole days!! And I dont want them playing with the toys, as I am trying to sort them out and clean! Mean aren't I???

6. so when parents say it doesnt matter if kids miss last week of school for a cheap holiday as they dont do any work or learning in last week it seems they could be right?

7. Maybe do a mini topic on something that enables you to really develop cross curricular learning or could they create their own file on a current famous person using reading and internet research skills

8. We let the children write their own report, with headings such as The best bit of Year ... The worst bit... The thing I will remember most... Next year I am looking forward to ...
    It makes interesting reading, and has changed my planning for the following year a few times!

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Rounders, rounders, rounders. Endless rounders.

also.. Joke Day!! Children write their favourite 3 jokes and tell them to the rest of the class. (Fills a morning!)

10. I love both of these - fab!

11. Freeze!

Freeze! New commenter

Yep this is what we do too. Reflect on the year just passed and then do a mini topic on the year to come. It's very good to involve the kids so readilly after they've had their class swop and talk about any worries as well as give them lots to look forward to. If your kids are older they could do it as a scrapbook project, or if even older, a multimedia project.

Also, lots of P.E. and games :)

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Are you paid for this wasting of time?

13. teach321

teach321 New commenter

Do you not just carry on with maths, literacy, hist/geog etc? We do, up until the last day (which is a short day). We have far too much maths/lit etc to finish off with lost days for sports day, leavers church service, various assemblies etc etc. Perhaps if it is just two/three days in the last week we may do something different, but a full week is far too long to do 'time filling' activities. I find keeping to as rigid a timetable as possible helps keeps them calm till the last day.

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I teach normal lessons up to lunchtime of the final day. We have our Leaver's Assembly in the afternoon.

15. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Wasting of time? How dare you? During rounders sessions pupils are developing striking and fielding skills, tactical play and learning to become team players. Joke Day has them practising skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening. Quite a few boxes ticked and I claim my beer money.

16. Middlemarch

Would any of you do any of this 'fills a morning' stuff if Ofsted showed up?

17. Middlemarch

Or the head was coming to observe you?

18. Actually last time the big 'O' came knocking we had a challenge afternoon where the children (& parents) were allowed to wander around the school and take part in challenges that we had set up. Things like whats the biggest container you can make from a single piece of A4 paper. So very much about thinking skills etc. and not a three part structured lesson plan in sight.
    I have to say our report came back full of praise for this approach.
    So whilst 'fills a morning' is perhaps a bit of an over exaggeration, the approach of this kind of thing every once in a while is worth it.

19. Middlemarch

Playing lots of rounders and letting the kids tell their favourite jokes, you mean?
    The example you give is not the same as the ones I'm getting at and you know it.

20. I hope there are no teachers who did not strike 'because of the effect on the childrens' education' are letting their class have a toy day or a film day.

Keep them working until the very last afternoon!