1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last week of term... what’s occurring?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Jul 10, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Not much with us. On line zoom retirement dos and that’s it. No end of year social as some pubs round here not open and some staff not keen on going anyway.

damp squib but to be expected.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Nothing happening at all - no mention of anything for the two staff who are leaving. Going to do the best we can for Year 6 - socially distanced sports (timed individual events, competition between bubbles) and a picnic on the field. They understandably feel very hard done by - no production, post-SATS trips or prom. Don't think popcorn and a choc ice on the school field seems like a fair swap!

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My granddaughter had her graduation ceremony from nursery. Capped, gowned and certificated, she accepted applause from socially distanced staff, children and a video camera.

agathamorse and sunshineneeded like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

From what I understand many of the kids and their families will be more relieved than usual at the end of this school year. I've read a number of news articles about how stressful the merging of school work and parental work at home has been. My understanding is that the bigger stress has prevailed in households where parents have really badly felt the need to engage with their kids to get them learning. So for the kids and their families I think the sense of release from that will be more meaningful than any sort of celebration.

It's been like that for me as a teacher, hugely stressful both work wise and parenting. I've felt imprisoned in madness probably for all of the last month now.

As a teacher parent during lock down it's honestly been the hardest term of my career, and I am looking forward to breaking up like I never actually have. The thought of just getting pizza in next Friday and knowing I can wake up the next day and be and act like a parent in my own home is worth far more to me than obliterating the night away down the pub with bants as I normally would.
    My colleagues who are in various stages of parenting seem to be feeling the same way. It's Just. Been. Too. Much.

5. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

At this awful time we need to light on anything which looks llike a small mercy.
    In this case, Covid 19 has done away with the grotesque nonsense of parents being coerced into spending hundreds of pounds on posh frocks, tuxedos, limousines and all the rest of the ghastly apparatus of the "school prom". It doesn't make up for much but it is a small mercy.

6. Aquamarina1234

What? I thought these moaning teachers had all been off since March and now are griping about having to go back in September?

agathamorse, red_observer and Ro13 like this.
  7. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Finished Zoom teaching today (independent primary). A few of us having picnic Monday to say goodbye to two teachers made redundant :(

I did get a lovely email from a parent saying how pleased she was with how school adapted so quickly, (My head, who owns school, had no choice as it was that or close for good).

agathamorse likes this.
  8. red_observer

9. red_observer

Super post... take care!

sbkrobson and agathamorse like this.
  10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Am I too credulous? I have a ghastly fear that this is true...

nomad likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

It's true, and the subject has been discussed before. The children who are starting school in September, wear a brightly coloured little cap and gown and walk across the hall to the teacher to hear how wonderful and special they are, receive a scroll, and wave to their delighted parent/carer.

In many cases, these children will have spent the larger part of their waking lives and formative years being cared for by the nursery 8 - 6 Monday to Friday. It seems fitting to mark their departure with a little ceremony, however hokey it sounds.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

"It's all getting a bit silly," says sociologist Joel Best, author of Everyone's a Winner: Life in Our Congratulatory Culture. "It's absolutely meaningless. What does it really mean to say someone's 'completed' kindergarten? This is very much about the parents."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28399266

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    agathamorse, Marshall and mothorchid like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Anyone ask the child? Her sister was delighted at hers and felt it was special.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've been preparing for next term for the last three months, and will continue to do so for the next two months. However I'm not a teacher, I'm just some semi-retired bloke trying to keep his school-related business afloat.

Hats off to all of you who've been juggling Zoom, marking, new rules and regulations, health and safety concerns for the autumn and (somewhere in all that) your real lives. If anyone should be celebrating 'graduating', it's you who've graduated from this last few months of keeping the education system going as best you can.

Now take a well earned break. :)

jellycowfish and cassandramark2 like this.