1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last Minute Tips/Advice for TA Early Years Interview!!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by stacey2011, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I have an interview tomorrow for a TA in the Foundation Stage. It starts with a 30 minute interview with the headteacher and governors, then a 20 min story sharing session with 6-8 reception children, then a 10 minute slot for my evaluation of the activity.
    I had no idea what story to do, but I knew that I didn't want to do a typical story which they might hear more than once tomorrow, such as We're going on a bear hunt, or the gruffalo, this may be a wrong move and maybe I shouldve done one of these books eeeek! I have chosen Winnie the Witch, I have made 3 cat puppets, black, green and a multicoloured one, I have some straws to use as wands, a witches hat and a poem. Im hoping the children will enjoy the story!

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to go about this 20minute session? Its hard not to lose your track when you are being observed! Also any interview tips for the 30minute session?

Thanks everyone!

2. I have an interview tomorrow for a TA in the Foundation Stage. It starts with a 30 minute interview with the headteacher and governors, then a 20 min story sharing session with 6-8 reception children, then a 10 minute slot for my evaluation of the activity.
    I had no idea what story to do, but I knew that I didn't want to do a typical story which they might hear more than once tomorrow, such as We're going on a bear hunt, or the gruffalo, this may be a wrong move and maybe I shouldve done one of these books eeeek! I have chosen Winnie the Witch, I have made 3 cat puppets, black, green and a multicoloured one, I have some straws to use as wands, a witches hat and a poem. Im hoping the children will enjoy the story!

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to go about this 20minute session? Its hard not to lose your track when you are being observed! Also any interview tips for the 30minute session?

Thanks everyone!

3. Hiya

Make sure you think of a WALT....even if its just to know the characters of a familiar story.....interview panels are v hot on that. The Gruffalo etc are SOOOOO over done, everyone does those so good on you for doing something different!!
    Try and know the kids names and make sure u use them lots..maybe tell the story sitting on the floor so you are on a level with the children...above all have fun and smile oh and use voices for the story, that always works!
    Ive been a TA for 11 years and in Foundation for 5......if you love the age group it will show and get you the job ( u have to be crazy to work there)!

Lots of luck to you and enjoy yourself cos it will show

Let me know how it goes [​IMG]

4. Thanks for the reply! I had the interview today
    Luckily they had name badges on, definately a plus! I thought the interview part didn't go to well, as there were a lot of 'erms' lol, but I got the Job! So Happy!

5. Awwww

Well done you!!!
    You must be over the moon[​IMG]

Welocome to the world of Foundation TA's!!!

6. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Well done.
    I'm currently sat here completing an application form.
    If I'm lucky enough to make it to the interview and if I have to have a lesoon with children, then I'll remember to take stickers to make name badges - that's a good idea.