1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last minute hiccup?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by FrostyLemon, Jun 22, 2015.

1. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon New commenter

Hello everyone

I will try and make this concise. I'm an NQT, I've pretty much got through my whole nqt year without any major problems, been getting good observations and passed both terms without anything concerning being brought up. I just had my last observation today and it's all gone a bit wrong.

I have a year one class and today my children were solving vertical additions and subtractions. My two top groups have been doing this for the last couple of months and have got pretty good at it. I came up with a similar lesson today and I thought it went ok to be honest. There was a major problem where I forgot to model carrying over the 1 into the tens column, but I was fairly confident my top three groups could get on with it so I brought back my bottom two groups and modelled it once more.I thought that would be the biggest fault of the lesson.

I got my feedback and it was marked as unsatisfactory. The major problem was that Year 1 should not be carrying over numbers into the tens column and that this is Year 2 level work. The next problem was that my higher group apparently weren't getting it and not understanding the comprehension behind what they were doing. At the end of the day I went back to mark my books and the top group had got all the questions correct and the middles got some parts right. My bottoms struggled, but they weren't focusing on bridging through ten anyway. Then I looked at my assessment grid and right at the bottom of it it said 'children should be able to add and subtract with double digit numbers' . Then I looked at the year 2 maths overview, and one of the early units is bridging through ten and carrying numbers across columns. I'm feeling like I've penalised for pushing my kids? Now i''ve been told I will need to be observed again so this doesn't affect my end of year report. Can anyone help me decipher what is going on here?

Sorry I was not concise at all.

2. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Here are my thoughts:

--> An unsatisfactory lesson should not affect you passing the NQT year. All teachers sometimes have lessons which don't work as well as planned and the NQT year is about meeting the teaching standards.

--> A lesson shouldn't be deemed satisfactory for being of a higher level than expected, provided pupils can cope with it. I teach Secondary French and have done some A-Level standard grammar with my top set Y9 (in a scaffolded, structures way) because they're really good and can cope with it. It sounds to me like your higher/middle pupils could cope OK and were getting something out of it, but perhaps you could have differentiated better for the less able pupils in the group. Respond to that and move on.

--> A follow-up observation isn't necessarily a bad thing. I volunteered for one after an NQT observation which was a 3 (the timing wasn't great as pupils were in the middle of preparing for an assessment), took the opportunity to show off and got really good feedback which I then used in an application for pay progression.

--> For now (unless you see any further signs that the school are not happy with your teaching) I would take the extra observation in good faith and show off with a really good but "safe" lesson. If it all goes well, great - they can write you a good report and sign everything off happily.

--> If things get worse and you feel you are being threatened with failure, remember it's pretty difficult to fail you at this late stage, given that you've been signed off as on track to meet the standards in the previous two terms. If necessary get your union and the LEAs person responsible for NQTs involved.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction is based upon your progress throughout the year so one lesson result would not skew the whole.

Suggest you post on the Maths forum for an answer to the subject query

4. I hate it when schools place SO much emphasis on a single lesson. Ideally all teachers should teach a perfect lesson every time, every day. Guess what? It'll never happen, just like a Head is never perfect and will make mistakes. Pushing the children is not a bad thing, unless you are really pushing them to places that they cannot handle. A single lesson should NEVER result in failing induction as induction takes place across a whole year and you should be judged across a whole range of evidence drawn from a wide evidence base, not just lesson observations.

James

Follow me on twitter @edujdw

5. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon New commenter

Thank you James for your response, and everyone else in the topic. I took on board what the head said and in the repeat observation I went back a step to see if the children had consolidated their previous learning. I'm hapy to report they were more than capable of handling it and the observation passed! Hopefully no more hiccups!