1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last-minute Cancellation

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by theluckycat, Jun 14, 2018.

1. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Just had a text requesting to cancel a lesson at less than an hour's notice for a not particularly important reason (mum is sick, and child wants to go out with the other kids). I have had a slight issue with this sort of thing previously, and at present don't charge for cancellations, as I would feel awkward asking people for money for services not rendered. I do however get new enquiries which I put off as I am full, so I am starting to get rankled about it. I was thinking of putting in a policy from September that 3 late lesson cancellations (less than 24 hours notice) will mean tutees are then placed on the waiting list, giving someone already on the waiting list the slot. What do people think? I understand that people occasionally get ill or something else comes up, but I think people are capable of giving 24 hour notice of this in general. At present I get the feeling that at present some customers don't see it as a commitment.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm sympathetic when there are cancellations for good reasons, but in this case I'd be annoyed.

For a policy, I'd definitely have someone else from the waiting list take the slot, unless the cancelled class is paid in full (though I might give one chance first).

In the current case, i'd explain that you can't take any more bookings from this family unless they pay upfront. You're operating a business, not a charity.

theluckycat likes this.
  3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

It's not services rendered, it's an hour of your time. They don't show, you can't get anyone else for the hour. So they still have to pay for it. If it makes you feel better, have a 24-hour notice policy both ways - so if you have to cancel due to illness etc they get the next lesson free. But you both have an incentive to stick to the session.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I only tutor older students, but whenever one of mine cancels or doesn't show without a really good reason I drop them without the slightest hesitation: similarly, if I suspect that the good reason is a lie.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. NoSuchThingAsNormal

NoSuchThingAsNormal New commenter

The parent does not reserve a just-in-case hour and only pay when they use it. The child chose not come, the parent should pay.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

They wouldn't do it to, say, a driving instructor and expect not to pay

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Prepayment in blocks of ten, take ofg one prepaid hour when they do this. It really helps sort it!