1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last few months at current school...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SUgar1, May 19, 2011.

1. This is my first teaching post and I am leaving in August to go to my first international teaching post. I was just wondering how other people find/manage the last few months. Since I told my head that I was looking for another job at Xmas I feel all support has been withdrawn. Although I am managing fine now (I had a tought start to the year for various reasons) it is frustrating to be told that I need to keep focused for my class when I feel that their attitude is that they no longer need to invest time/energy in me because I am leaving. Is this a common occurrence? If so, how do you not let it bother you yet still keep doing as good a job for your class as you should be?!? I am also finding that I am now getting more stressed about certain things as I know I will not be here in a short time. How do you control that?!

2. I'm already thinking about how to carefully phrase my parting words at the end of year do, to basically say "I really appreciate all the help and support I've received from the teachers and TAs, those who really make the difference in the classroom, and the admin and support staff, who keep everything else running smoothly. As for the 'senior management', you might as well just stay at home" but without actually saying it so blatantly.
    At my school the senior management and the head all seem like the kind of people who realised they hated classroom teaching and wanted to get into an office ASAP. Since then, they try to avoid all contact with those in the classrooms and the students (this is the unanimous agreement of all the teachers who've been here a few years) and spend their time writing policies nobody gives a **** about.

3. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Just a word of advice if I may - don't burn your bridges with comments targetting the SMs - you never know when you might need another reference from them. Their references for you must have been good, so keep your departure professional and cordial. It reflects well on you as a professional.
    I've needed to go back to all my previous Heads for letters or referrals - even after they had moved on from their then positions to other schools, and you might need to do the same - in particular if your first international post does not work out.

4. Ditto what Syria1 said. I think it is more important than people realize. When my former Head heard that things were going horribly wrong for me in my first International job, he spontaneously offered to give me another reference if I needed one, and even offered to help me find a job through his contacts. As it turned out, I needed neither, but I very well could have.

5. All good advice. Thank you. I know that I need to remain professional and I will because I don't really think I could be one of those teachers that just gives up in the last few months. I'm just frustrated that other people seem to think it's OK to do the same to me. But only 38 days left here so onwards and upwards!!

6. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Be as charming and gracious as possible at the end of term, don't get too tiddly at the bbq. The nice thing about your position now is that you can risk trying a few experimental lessons and a few off the wall activities. All that stuff you wanted to try, but didn't dare to? The old Robin Williams standing on desks thing?
    It's hard leaving, as you will have put a lot of time and effort into the job, especially as an NQT, especially with it being your first job, you keep wanting there to be some kind of fireworks. There won't be. There will be a pen* and a moderately priced bottle of plonk* and a card, signed by anyone who was in the staffroom at the time. You will feel bereaved, the school won't.
    * My pen didn't work.
    * Resist the temptation to open the bottle as soon as you get it and start swigging from it whilst making the speech. Keep the speech nice. As others have mentioned, you may be back, cap in hand, for references.

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

The owners of my school have been an absolute disgrace and have avoided me at all costs after showing a complete lack of respect regarding my departure. Last year they were falling over themselves for support and co-operation when the school had some extremely delicate matters at hand, but it appears that is a one way street. Three of us are leaving, and each has a similar story to tell.
    I've told them to simply allow me get on with teaching my children until the term ends but have made it clear to the head, who has been great throughout the year and will write my references, that I am in no way up for some false admiration in an end of year leavers assembly. My parents and kids know what has transpired - ours is a small community and another of my fellow leavers is a parent - and to be honest, I'd have quit at Easter if it hadn't been for my local partner.
    Everyone deserves respect whatever their position, and once that has been withdrawn, it suits no-one for the relationship to continue. Sadly, the owners have a history of acting this way and seem unable, or unwilling to alter their approach. I guess being a school owner allows you to act in any manner you choose, though someone with more acumen would understand it damages their own business and goodwill goes a long way.

8. Yes, I realise that I will probably need future references from my current school. I was just fantasising really. It's a shame, because at my school the overpaid work the least and make no effort to help the classroom teachers, who are very much aware of the problems (behaviour is one) and need management to stop saying "if you plan your lessons properly, the behaviour sorts itself out". Since the little teaching they do is to top sets, they have no idea what's going on. It makes me so very angry and really just want to vent at them and embarrass them, but I know being professional and my own future are more important.

9. Just wanted to say hi and pass on my 2 cents worth of experience.

I spent my first 3 years teaching in the UK at the school I did my NQT with. I decided to leave and teach overseas and I have never looked back. I was happy teaching in this school but I knew that a big wide world existed out there and that I wanted to be part of it.

I'm now in my 3rd school since leaving the UK and have loved (almost) every minute of my expat/overseas life. Leaving any school is hard but as previous posters have said keep your integrity and don't sink to the level you feel your SMT/colleagues have.

Make the most of your time - prepare for your new post, read up on the country you'll soon be living in, write a packing list and make resources which you can take to your new school on a thumb drive. Can you get in contact with someone from your new school or the department in which you'll be working to get some info as to teaching units or topics you'll be teaching?

If all else fails just keep in mind that this time next year you will only have about 4 weeks of teaching to go until the LONG 8 week summer holiday! Roll on June 17th!! :)

Blue

10. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I too have been wondering about the cringe fest that will be the leavers assembly. It doesn't help that my class assembly is the day before the end of term as well. There will be people I will miss - staff, kids and parents, some that I could do without and then some I hope never to see again in my life (putting it politely).

I think you are all right on the 'school won't miss you' thing. Individuals might, particularly a couple of members of staff I have been very close to as we are friends outside of school too. But, let's face it, every year kids say "you're my best teacher ever!". They have no idea what they are talking about. I too shall accept my pen, hope that the ones I will miss will miss me and then get on with my life.

Good luck to all of you who are changing jobs this year, first international post or not. If you aren't changing jobs remember, what other job can you get at least a bit of a fresh start each September?

11. Thanks for all the great advice. You are all right about the holding my head high and not coming down to their level bit. I am going to be able to tell my class after the half term which will make the whole thing more real but will be a relief to have it truly out in the open. And the last day will be interesting although the spotlight will not be just on me as there are a couple of other people going too. Roll on July!!!

12. There's something of n exodus at my place, with five teachers having quit just in the last two weeks. Two of them without jobs to go to for now, because they can't stand the treatment they've received from management.
    I'm going to tell my students this week, coinciding with my year 11s leaving. I also feel 'roll on July' but reckon this last half term is really going to drag on... I can't wait to go!