1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last ditch

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nearmiss, Nov 2, 2015.

1. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

The Trade Union Bill is heading for its third reading.

Why is this relevant to teachers? We don't take strike action except as a very last resort. The number of teaching days lost to strike action in the last decade is in single figures so why the Government now feels it necessary to take away that right is not clear. The Government has played the teaching unions off against each other in recent years creating disunity and rivalry in a sector that has a common aim. On this matter, we all stand to lose.
    What your union does is often done quietly and without publicity. Why are unions effectively barred in free schools and academies? Why does the Government pretend that all academies and free schools are transformative miracle workers?
    Most concerning is the clause in the Bill that proposes that employers can use agency staff to cover for striking staff.
    What sort of position does this put supply teachers in? Should they cross the picket line to undermine their colleagues? Will full time teachers leave cover work?

Please take time to consider this.

No need to add a comment. I'm sure the usual anti-union rhetoric will be aired. Either contact your MP or not. It is your last chance to stop your union being stripped of its powers. Last chance to retain the right for an official union rep in your school with facility time to represent you.

In the event of a dispute in future, bearing in mind that there is now no legal aid for employment law, what are you going to do without a union?

http://act.goingtowork.org.uk/page/content/tweet-tubill-3rd-reading/

snowyhead, cally1980 and lanokia like this.
  2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

My MP has already made their position clear on their website. Toeing the Tory party line as usual.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I wrote to mine.

He's a Tory.

I don't expect much.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I tweeted mine, Labour but towards the right side of the party. No response yet but I expect her to oppose.

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

My MP is a Labour one who will vote against the Trade Union Bill.

“[Luke:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.”