1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last day tomorrow..... How are you feeling?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jomaimai, Jul 16, 2015.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I hate many things about teaching in UK schools but I love my kids, my families, my colleages .... and I can not see myself doing anything else.

I have to leave the school now but another one will come.

I hope I do not get to emotional tomorrow. [​IMG]

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Finishing a one-year contract tomorrow before going on to another school in September on a permanent basis -moving from an academy back to independent. Lovely colleagues where I am but cannot wait to leave.

ONE MORE DAY - am glad I survived but cannot wait to leave!

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

three more days!

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

5 for me. Counting hours now!

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

How will I be feeling - elated!

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Until your hols Em or are you leaving teaching?

7. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Umm.. -elated!

to elate

past tense: elated; past participle: elated

make (someone) ecstatically happy.

synonyms: thrilled, exhilarated, happy, delighted, overjoyed, joyous, gleeful, excited, animated, jubilant, beside oneself with happiness, exultant, ecstatic, euphoric, rapturous, in raptures, enraptured, rapt; More

antonyms: miserable

8. Left 2 weeks ago for ever - retiring after 27 years. Feeling great!!

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

The first one - sadly. Don't feel so elated any more now you've brought me back to Earth...!

10. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

Also retiring having been a teacher since 1978. Not even going to do supply - my energy and enthusiasm has left me. Mixed feelings. I wish the last few years could have been as rewarding and enjoyable as the first. Best wishes to all those still hanging on in there. x

11. marymoocow

Sorry compass. I meant Emilystrange. I wonder how many other professions retire/leave on a downer, rather than just tired and ready.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I finished a one year contract yesterday. I was sad to leave the staff who are absolutely fantastic, but I'm not sorry that I won't be seeing some of the kids again as, sadly, it's a case of the tail wagging the dog where too many of them are concerned.

I 'retired' early 4 years ago and have enjoyed working in different schools since. I've no idea what September will bring so I'll just wait and see!!! [​IMG]

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just finishing (couple of days to go) first year in a new school. Despite the fact it's a bit dysfunctional I've survived and next year should be a little easier. The feeling you get at the end of any academic year is unlike any other profession I guess. The last couple of years haven't been easy but I'm in a much better place now than I was then so I can't complain.

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

just to the hols, marymoo. i'd have let you know if it was any different! :)

15. marymoocow

Well I hope this school continues to be a better place to work.x

16. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I find the 'last day' full of bluster and anti-climax being on a full time contract! (ie. 29 days + bank holidays.)

Although I find I am more in the mood if I book my Summer days at the start of the 6 weeks!

17. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

ah...........nice morning to wake up - 6 weeks break and a new school to go to in September....

best wishes

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Oi! Dunteaching!! You've got my name!

This is going to cause a lot of confusion!

19. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I'm out of it now. It really is a great feeling.