1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last couple of days of the holidays...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Jan 3, 2019.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

what we doing?
    Catching up on some tv I’ve recorded, going on a couple of walks... some nice eating and a bit more reading. Might watch some local rugby on Saturdays and might pop across to watch the Wasps on Sunday... then back to the madhouse on Monday...:(

Ah bliss!

JosieWhitehead and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Taking my son back to university tomorrow and then I expect we'll have a walk at the weekend, and sort out the pit that is our house!

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What holidays?
    There's been a holiday?

4. red_observer

Rest period I suppose GDW!

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

In our area, teachers had a training day yesterday and children are back to school today.
    I am not teaching much now, but on the other hand, ihave been working for five days during the school holiday, so it kind of evens out...
    I wish everyone a good last few days and a good start to the term.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Back in today...

Wait what am doing here? Bad lanokia bad!

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I'm just glad I gave it up. I hate this time of year, short dark days and long even darker nights. Unpredictable weather, feeling unsettled. I don't even want to step outside the door, and I'm probably eating too much. Do I leave the heating on and face a big bill, or do I freeze my butt off?

8. red_observer

Teaching today? That’s tough!

9. red_observer

I/we think the same! Got the heating on now but for his long?!

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nah... training... and it's dull.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Extra layers?

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

That's the thing innit? We read and hear stuff about pensioners in "fuel poverty". A limited income in retirement, but oh look, having given up work and being at home suddenly means higher fuel bills. This "fuel cap" is a complete con too, as it is no such thing. Whatever fuel you use, you pay for! If you use three thousand quids worth of fuel, you still pay for it. (Not that I have, or intend to).

Sir_Henry and (deleted member) like this.
  13. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

That's reminded me that I'm the one boring everyone on Monday morning. Never led inset before. Eeek!

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am trying to recover from the return of virus that I had for the last week of term. I have a hacking cough and a headache. I wanted to get ahead with planning and start a get fit campaign. I will get some school work done slowly. Staying in bed reading was my rest cure this morning.

15. red_observer

Ever different?

nomad and (deleted member) like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

May I recommend a range of little discussion activities. We just had death by PowerPoint.. . 82 slides... it's not conducive to enthusiasm retention.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think this is my third or fourth time around on this particular topic.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This time of year especially.

I remember my grandfather. His house was freezing. He'd sit by his coal fire and be wrapped up in blankets watching John Wayne westerns.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

82 slides!!!

I hope that's a wild exaggeration.

@lanokia

I beg you. Tell me it was not so!

20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Will do! Hoping to avoid death by PowerPoint. I'm aiming for planning time based on it as part of it too. Maybe that way it will be vaguely useful.