1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, May 25, 2016.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Allegations by Mark Lawson ( sensational ) plus Before the Fall by Noah Hawley ( not as impressive as The Good Father but still a quality read ) plus
    Stasiland by Anna Funder - still on my shelf.

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

'Haunted America' by Michael Norman and Beth Scott. Interesting!

The next on my list to buy is 'Private Lives of the Tudors'. I'm in a Tudor phase (reading-wise. I've yet to burn a heretic, sadly).

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is failing...

Recent purchases include...

Scars by Chris Wraight
    Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch
    Wyrd Sisters [hardback] by Terry Pratchett
    Babylon by Paul Kriwaczek
    Islam: A very short introduction by Lalise Ruthven

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So weak...

Today I bought the new Clive Barker and SS-GB by Len Deighton.

Buying books faster that I'm reading them. Still, of the books I mentioned in post #23 I have read all of them now. Need to read some of the older unread books.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I shall buy the new Clive James

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Prisoners of Geography. Fascinating! I'm on the chapter about the Middle East, it explains an awful lot! Well worth a read.

frangipani123 likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've thought about buying that one...

8. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

It's fascinating, I'm on the section about the Middle East, which explains a huge amount (especially as I was never taught this st school or if I was I switched off!)

The best bit is the maps are black and shire so you could colour it for mindfulness if you felt so inclined. Remember if you colour within the lines you can get an A⭐️!

I really do recommend it, well worth the investment.

lanokia likes this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

An old Sidney Sheldon. Returning to childhood, clearly.

10. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I don't buy a lot of books these days, apart from picking up the odd one at second hand book stalls. The only brand new books I've bought in the last year are Stuart Macbride. I LOVE Stuart MacBride.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On the Nature of Things by Lucretius.

12. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

13. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I accidentally bought some Ngaio Marsh about 15 seconds ago online. The official Queens of Crime list goes: Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy L. Sayers, Margery Allingham in that order, no quibbles.

frangipani123 likes this.
  14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Jon Ronson's Shamed. I do like his stuff.

15. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I like those books too, inherited a few ancient copies from my nan. I also like Josephine Tey.

I bought Tariq Ali's Quintet last night for my Kindle on the recommendation of a friend. A bargain too.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was lent a copy of this by my father... very good read.

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Shtum by Jem Lester, The Vanishing Man by Laura Cummimgs and Boxset by Clive James - stockpiled. Three cheap ( but not so cheerful ) supermarket buys - Sirens by Joseph Knox , The Book of Mirrors by ? , the new Belinda Bauer - nine too challenging -all ok to while a way a long soak in the bath.

18. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Latest Katie Fforde - why oh why!?!

19. armandine2

20. armandine2

https://alchetron.com/Joan-Hassall-1345552-W

She attended Parsons Mead School and then trained as a teacher at the Froebel Institute. Her experiences at a rough East London secondary school convinced her that she did not want to be a teacher. She worked as her father's secretary for two years and then attended the Royal Academy Schools from 1928 to 1933.