1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Last book you bought?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, May 25, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

... or downloaded onto a Kindle or similar device.

Make Me by Lee Child this morning from Tesco for £3.85

and

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett which was hardback and I just loved the look of it.

Not read, bought!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh, forgot one...

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch because @Flere-Imsaho recommended it... [I think it was you Flere...]

InkyP and mathsmutt like this.
  3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

A good book, I hope you enjoy.

Latest purchases for Kindle:
    Snow White and the Seven Samurai by Tom Holt.
    and
    The Excel Bible 2013 by Microsoft:)

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Probably. I enjoyed it a lot.

NK Jemisin's The Obelisk Gate and Kameron Hurley's The Geek Feminist Revolution are both currently on order. And Charles Stross' Laundry Stacks.

Forever grateful to @lurk_much for that last recommendation.
    Hmm, no tag?
    :(

5. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

My husband bought me SPQR by Mary Beard a few days ago. It's lovely...

6. kerensaann

kerensaann New commenter

Marlon James- A brief history in seven killings. It is a booker prize winner which usually puts me off but it is a fictionalized account on Bob Marley's 'murder' so thought it was interesting.

7. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I read that earlier this year - it was completely riveting. I found it a bit hard to follow the language at first (not having much Jamaican slang in my vocab) but thought it was fantastic.

8. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Our man in Havana by Graham Greene. I've only read a few of his books but have enjoyed them - this one I'm drifting with a bit and I'm only a few chapters in. Might have to rewind a few pages and try again.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Walsingham by Alan Haynes.

Been interested in Francis Walsingham since I saw Elizabeth so I spotted this in a charity shop for £3 and walked away happy...

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge. Every few months we hold our book group meeting at the book shop and use her upstairs office. The understanding is that we'll choose a book to read the following month and buy it from her. i don't know why this book was chosen but it was deeply disappointing - a poor story suitable for teenagers maybe but not a good example of young adult lit. The discussion is coming up so we'll see what the others thought.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's funny you say that, @lindenlea . I read quite a lot of YA and have been recommended Frances Hardinge by lots of people whose judgement I trust but can never quite find what they love about the books.

lindenlea likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Moon over Soho... Ben Aaronovitch [really enjoyed the first one!]
    Feet of Clay in hardback ... Terry Pratchett
    Hyperion ... Dan Simmons

I'm supposed to be taking it easy on book purchasing because I have about two years worth of books to get through... not working out there.

13. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Occasional commenter

Oh boy - you gave me a scare there for a mo .... a flashback to the hell years in industry...

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/financial-management/overview/index.html

Feet of Clay was an inspired choice tho :)

The last book I bought was:

Classroom Behaviour. Second Edition: A Practical Guide to Effective Behaviour Management and Colleague Support by Bill Rogers

Before that tho it was:

The Master and Margarita by Mikail Bulgakov. Which was far better than I had suspect at the time

lanokia likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Hyperion will feel like two years of books.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh dear...

Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi
    All Involved by Ryan Gattis
    The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan

Not going too well.... must resist... RESIST!

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

(Enjoyed ' All Involved ' ) The Divided Spy by Charles Cummings - excellent

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Long Utopia by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett...

18. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I was looking for books for my little girl (aged 10) I wanted to buy her The Borrowers and she wasn't interested (she has the audio book and loves it!). They had all 6 books in one, so I'm going to reread The Borrowers and consider all of the things that they've stolen from me!

InkyP likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bought The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross.

Trying not to buy too many new books when I have a whole unit full of unread ones.

20. anon8701

anon8701 Star commenter

Daughters of Castle Deverill by Santa Montefiore. I really enjoyed it!