1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laser warfare in Chile

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 13, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Lasers.... drones... maybe we have finally hit the 21st century?

Successfully taking down a police drone with lasers...

colpee likes this.
  2. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

I can't find the thread on the police actions in Chile. the number of people who've been killed or injured, the astounding number who've lost eyes as a result of being shot by the security forces.

Has the thread been deleted?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I confess... I haven't seen one... I considered starting one but I spent most of my time trying to familiarise myself with events.

What with Hong Kong, Bolivia, Iraq, Chile and probably some others I've missed, it seems to be a period of protest for many nations...

chelsea2 likes this.
  4. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

That was my rather sarcastic point, really.

What's happening there is horrific. And now Bolivia. The world is a mess and it's always the poor who pay the price

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh...

Well... glad you found it a cause for humour? ... I don't get some people...

Is this sarcasm? An attempt at a joke?

6. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe lasers downing drones are more newsworthy than people being killed and maimed.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Really? That's what you think I'm saying when I ask if you are making a joke?

Your attempts at comedy about this aren't working... move on.

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A novel and growing technology for civil disruption - especially lasers, but protestor controlled drones will come on fast too I reckon.

Interestingly, neither technology is particularly new; both have been used by the military across the world for decades. In fact, drones were used in the Yom Kippur war in 1973, the war in Lebanon in 1982 - the same year that the Royal Navy deployed offensive anti-aircraft lasers on their ships for the Falklands war. Later in the 1980s, Iran used drones armed with RPGs against Iraq and in the 2001 Gulf war, the US army had drones airborne 24/7 and started killing people with them. In fact drones are ubiquitous across all military areas, lasers less so, mainly because anti-personnel lasers are banned and the technology does not scale up well for reliable practical use.

lanokia likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Chile - it's a real concern.

I lived there for the best part of a year just a few years ago, and always felt safe travelling and walking alone.

Of all South American countries, it was the most stable and probably the most wealthy. It had emerged from the Pinochet nightmare and become a law-abiding, developed country. Even car-drivers obeyed the rules of the road. A civilised country.

And now it's like a bottle of champagne has fizzed over. A protest over rising metro fares has turned into this violence? How?

lanokia likes this.
  10. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Chile Bolvia Venezuela Spain Lebanon Hong Kong...those are the places I can think of right now with significant civil unrest.
    Somebosy is stirring I think.
    Can anyone add anymore to this list?

I was offered a job in Chile a year ago...a place and school I had always wanted to work. I turned it down and couldn't reallly explain to myself why I did that...it just didn't feel "right" though there was no reason for it not to.I now know why...I get like that sometimes...can sense things but can't explain till they happen. Anyway..rambling...sorry!

chelsea2 and lanokia like this.
  11. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

Haiti.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah yes thank you... I knew there was one I'd missed.