1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laser Machine - beam dying?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by mrmrees, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Anyone had any experience of their laser machine dying? Ours is working sporadically at the moment. The beam isnt focussed coming through the lenses and mirrors and is splayed over quite a distance before it gets into the lens.
    Any ideas as to the problem?
    Techsoft have quoted approx £300 for an engineer to come out and have a look, and a new laser tube is approx £3000. Any other sources for getting this sorted elsewhere at cheaper rates?

Thanks

2. re

re New commenter

If it is a mercury laser, have you cleaned all four mirrors? Theres one behind an inspection hatch on the bottom left of the machine

3. I would suspect that the gas in the tube has nearly all gone and needs to be changed. I dont know if another make of tube at the same wattage would be possible from a different machine but you could try CTR lasers as a new tube for their machine is at least a third of the price. This may be something that people are beginning to realise that if you spend 14K on a machine you will need to spend 3K on a new tube, or you go with a cheaper but as good a machine for 5K and pay possible less than 1k for replacements.

4. Another alternative strategy is to buy a good laser in the first place. My nine year old Universal machine is still working as good as the day it was delivered. Only had one full service, although regularly cleaned and looked after in-house. My supplier informed me that he has never replaced a tube in a machine used in school. The Universal machines are used in industry and run all day, every day. To have to consider such an expensive replacement part seems ridiculous to me. Cannot imagine buying a car that needs a new engine after a few years.

5. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

Yep,I would try cleaning all of the mirrors before calling out a technician. Use a soft cotton bud and alcohol. This process should really be done every couple of hours use. Also take off and clean the cone that the laser eventually fires through, this builds up and affects use. Good luck, we have had Verslasers for 7-8 years now, one is on all day long and we have had no major issues at all
    cheers
    Spencer Herbert