1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laser Eye Surgery - I'm taking the plunge!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm taking the plunge and have booked myself in for surgery at the end of this month. I'm going with Optimax and am having Ultralase and Wavefront.
    Can anyone who has had the treatment tell me about their experiences?
    The part that's freaking me out the most is the idea of seeing someone reach towards my eyeball with a pair of tweezers to lift the flap. Wierdly, the thought of the laser doesn't bother me. Also, the inability to blink at will freaks me out....I blink a LOT (I've noticed today).
    Can you also tell me about your results and how long recovery took?
    Thanks - easy on the horror stories, although I obviously want to be prepared.
    Eva x x x

2. Eva_Smith

Hi everyone,
    I'm taking the plunge and have booked myself in for surgery at the end of this month. I'm going with Optimax and am having Ultralase and Wavefront.
    Can anyone who has had the treatment tell me about their experiences?
    The part that's freaking me out the most is the idea of seeing someone reach towards my eyeball with a pair of tweezers to lift the flap. Wierdly, the thought of the laser doesn't bother me. Also, the inability to blink at will freaks me out....I blink a LOT (I've noticed today).
    Can you also tell me about your results and how long recovery took?
    Thanks - easy on the horror stories, although I obviously want to be prepared.
    Eva x x x

3. Absolutely brilliant - although I went to Moorfields and paid a lot to make sure there was no mucking up.
    Recovery took about a week but mine was lasek not lasik which takes about a day.
    There is so much going on that you don't notice any hand coming towards you. The laser took about 6 or 7 seconds per eye. The whole thing was over in about 8 minutes. Lots of drops and potions to put in afterwards.
    My advice would be to take a large pen and paper when they explain what to take and when - I couldn't read the small print on the bottles at all for the first day!
    Good luck - you will NOT regret it.

4. Eva_Smith

This is EXACTLY the answer I wanted, LOL. Thanks.
    Others, please do share. I'm oddly interested to keep going over the details...you'd think it'd be more sensible to put it out of my mind.

5. You won't see anything. Dark room, single light. You are told to keep looking at a small red dot. This is easy until the flap is lifted, then, with no lens to focus with, it is almost impossible to see. The comment I got was 'you're drifting!!' Once you are aware of this, it is easier to keep focused.

I was home at 12 noon, blinds and curtains closed, a bit of discomfort for a couple of hours, reading the paper at 3-00 and watching TV by 4-00.

I have had to have corrective surgery in one eye due to the vision not being as good as it should be. It is fine now.