1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laser Cutter Question

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by carmic76, Jan 22, 2011.

1. We were lucky to have a Laser cutter brought for our department Oct 2009.
    It was been working fine once we learnt how to work, but recently when we are cutting materials( mainly Acrylic and MDF) we have had to have the speed setting really low or set the laser to cut twice if we were cutting anything out.
    The machine is cleaned regularly (Once a week). Just wondering if any one has any idea what may be wrong.

2. We were lucky to have a Laser cutter brought for our department Oct 2009.
    It was been working fine once we learnt how to work, but recently when we are cutting materials( mainly Acrylic and MDF) we have had to have the speed setting really low or set the laser to cut twice if we were cutting anything out.
    The machine is cleaned regularly (Once a week). Just wondering if any one has any idea what may be wrong.

3. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

The few times I cut MDF on ours I find the lens gets VERY dirty very quickly - and all settings need changing until I can find 2 minutes to clean it.
    If it's not that then could the tube need replacing/whatever they do with it? Seems early...

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

First thing to check are the optics. Are they really clean? Are they damaged? Is the lens in focus? Is the beam correctly aligned? A mirror may have been knocked. Less likely with a quality machine of this age, but can happen, is the laser output has dropped. If it's a Chinese machine with a glass laser tube of this age, the most likely thing is the laser is on its last legs and you've done quite well with it.

5. The machine is a Mercury 40watt.
    Will ask our technician to give it a really good clean mon and to check all the mirrors.
    My HOD has been cutting out alot of MDF so it may be alot more dirty than we thought.
    If it is the laser tube where and how do we get it sorted?
    The laser was purchased from Technology Supplies

6. You would have to ring Technology supplies and find the prices for a new tube. It will not be cheap however. A friend had a larger machine done and it cost nearly 2K. But ring them and find out! I would suggest a complete clean firstly as others have suggested and check the extractor filter is doing its job.

7. re

re New commenter

This happened to me. THere is a mirror hidden behind an inspection hatch on the bottom back left of the machine as you look at it - the mirror is well protected and remote from the cutting head but can get dirty. Check it about once a year and you should be ok.

8. Thanks again for all your help.
    Will let you know how we get on