1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Larry Tesler RIP

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Before you are start saying who the h *ll was Larry Tesler, he's the chap who devised cut, copy and paste. An invaluable and widely used software tool when it comes to writing reports and other documentation no one ever reads but you have to have for when Ofsted turn up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51567695

RIP Larry, you made my teaching career a whole lot less onerous and in the words Winston Churchill would have undoubtedly used had he been a teacher, 'Never in the field of human education was so much bulsh *t copy and pasted.'

2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Before you are start saying who the h *ll was Larry Tesler, he's the chap who devised cut, copy and paste. An invaluable and widely used software tool when it comes to writing reports and other documentation no one ever reads but you have to have for when Ofsted turn up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51567695

RIP Larry, you made my teaching career a whole lot less onerous and in the words Winston Churchill would have undoubtedly used had he been a teacher, 'Never in the field of human education was so much bulsh *t copy and pasted.'

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I get the joke! :)

blazer, catmother, knitone and 2 others like this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Ask yourself whether you read the other thread posted about him this morning :rolleyes:

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I did check the Personal forum before I posted my thread and I saw no reference to Larry Tesler so I was perfectly justified in starting this thread.

I think what you are referring to is another thread entitled Ctrl-C Ctrl-V RIP. Ah, but this thread was not about Larry Tesler it was about keyboard shortcuts because that's what it said in the title. My thread had Larry Tesler in the title so it was about Larry Tesler so I was right all along.

(I've been retired nearly two years and didn't realise I could still be this pathetic and petty. It just goes to show the long-lasting effects of teacher culture!)

nomad and colpee like this.
  6. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Larry Tesler also devised the useful function "Find and replace".

7. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

The inventor of cut, copy and paste has died, The inventor of cut, copy and paste has died,The inventor of cut, copy and paste has died,The inventor of cut, copy and paste has died,

8. T34

T34 Established commenter

Cut, copy, paste, find and replace were around a long time before Larry Tesler. whoever he is or was.
    The clue is in the names.

Now, the keyboard commands are another thing altogether.

Duke of York likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes. In earlier days they were very much part of the blackmailer's and ransomers's stock in trade to avoid being identified. It makes you wonder what he did for a living before he went into the computing industry, doesn't it?

alex_teccy likes this.