1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Large scale sculpture - modroc

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jlo, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jlo

jlo New commenter

Please can anyone give me any tips?

I'm planning to make a nativity scene - Jesus, Mary, Joseph, 3 kings and 3 shepherds using chicken wire (or 'galvanised neting' as per ESPO) and modroc. Each figure about 2 - 3 feet high.

Is there anyone who has ever tried this and can point out the pitfalls or best ways to go.
    Year 6 - full day activity btw

2. jlo

jlo New commenter

Please can anyone give me any tips?

I'm planning to make a nativity scene - Jesus, Mary, Joseph, 3 kings and 3 shepherds using chicken wire (or 'galvanised neting' as per ESPO) and modroc. Each figure about 2 - 3 feet high.

Is there anyone who has ever tried this and can point out the pitfalls or best ways to go.
    Year 6 - full day activity btw

3. missied

missied New commenter

Sounds fantastic! I've always fancied doing something like this. I think children might find it easier to put mod-roc on something more solid than chicken wire though. Would you cover the wire with paper/fabric so it has something to 'cling' to?

4. I've always wanted to do this too - so let us know how you get on!
    I'm sure you know how to use mod-roc, but there are some useful tips here:

http://www.modroc.com/modroctips.htm

Your models might be too small for this, but as faces are so difficult try putting a layer of mod-roc on top of those blank Venetian style masks that you can buy in the education catalogues.

Plus, do not underestimate the amount of mod-roc you will need for a project like this. It will take loads!

5. my y3 class used modroc to make large 3D faces -the chicken wire was much to hard to handle so I bought some wire mesh which was much more child friendly and easy for the children to manipulate- I had cut the modroc into strips - and yes it took tons !!! The results were fantastic and the children were so proud of their achievements! It was part of an art week and great fun. We cut the wire and stuffed with newspaper before the children took ownership when they pinched out the features ect.

6. jlo

jlo New commenter

Thanks for those replies.
    I am looking forward to it but a bit nervous. Great idea to use masks for facial features.
    Doing it Friday for our creativity day
    Will let u know how it goes.

7. how did it go?

8. this sounds wonderful and something i aspire to do.

Have no tips but would you let the forum know how you get on and also post some pictures/links

GOOD LUCK

9. Make sure you have tonnes and tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of modroc!!!! It takes loads! We've jst done deathmasks and used a massive amount of modroc, but it looks amazing. Good luck.
    Lx

10. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I haven't seen it it done with modroc but a few years ago a TA at my school made a nativity scene for our Altar in the school hall.

She used those carpet rolls [a thick one for the body] and tapes thinner ones for the arms. Then padded and shaped the rolls out with newspaper scrunched up shaping them as she went along. She used a balloon for the heads.

The head was covered with muslin and the figures were dressed using the infant nativity costumes. They didn't have faces as such but most were hidden with the head dresses.

She used carpet tape to secure the body roll to the floor of the Altar and covered this with straw and bales of hay.
    It looked fantastic with Mary, Joesph, shepherds kings and the crib.

Obviously, they couldn't be touched and were just for display purposes.

11. jlo

jlo New commenter

Went brilliantly!!!

Figures are around 3 feet high. Took all day but kids loved it and are so proud of their creations.

BTW Used about 40 kilos of modroc and I will be buying our cleaner a very, very, big Christmas present!

Now...
    To paint or not to paint?
    I'm worried they'll ruin them and they are very effective just white. Contemplating aplying white paint?pva mix and varnish only.

12. jlo

jlo New commenter

13. Hi, I'd love to see your photos! We are just about to embark on a project -making large Greek mythological monsters- using modroc. Were the models really heavy? What else did you use?