1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Large file sharing/video hosting for school

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Houstonwehaveaproblem, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi
    This is the first time I have posted on here,so hi! I often look in and have a read, I'm a primary school teacher but really into ICT and embracing ICT in the classroom. I'm having a bit of a problem and hoping someone out there can help me.
    I run a blog with my Year 5 class, and I would like to share a video of work they have done with them. The problem is the file size is way too big for just inserting onto the blog, and when I zip it up is still too big. I have tried Vimeo, but unfortunately the capacity for free downloads is 500mb and the video is 514mb :( I have also looked at Yousendit, but dont want to pay to do it and their free trial involves entering your credit card which always makes me suss. Can anyone recommend somewhere I could use? (that wouldnt require a log in for chn to see).
    Cheers
    Houston

2. First off, 500MB is flipping HUGE! You can get a 2 hour film down to that size at a pretty good quality...

Depending on what video editing / conversion software you have available I would compress it as a MOV or WMV. You could also convert it to a Flash video (flv) which you can host online as a very much smaller file, at the cost of some quality. How long of a video are we talking about? And what video software have you used to make it?

3. It's only about 5 mins, I didn't make it. We have been working withan artist in school and he made it from things they did. How could I compress it? Can you recommend a programme that's free to download?
    Cheers for the speedy reply :)

4. I generally use Mac programs or online tools, and I'm assuming you're on a PC and 500MB is a hell of a long upload.

Will the file import to Windows Movie Maker? Not my favourite app but if so it should spit a small (~3 or 4MB) WMV.

Super is supposed to be a good video converter, but not necessarily for the faint of heart (lots of settings and options). Is the artist still about? You could also ask him for help (as, IMO, he should have done this in the first place...)

5. Yup I'm on a PC, with a very slow Internet connection :(
    I will ask him, I don't know why he sent it as such a large file! Hadn't thought of movie maker, will have a look at that. Cheers for the advice.

6. VLC media player has a converter built in. There's also a video editor called Wax that you can import video into and then export as a new format.

http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

7. The free version of Any Video Converter is also worth a look if you need to resize or convert to a different format.

8. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Also have you thought about installing something like ClipBucket on a local school server? It would make the uploading faster and you'd have control of the content....

9. I second Any Video Converter - it outputs to all major formats, though I recommend flash.

10. Grab a free teacher account from MediaCore http://mediacore.com - you can use this to upload videos in any size and format, and share them securely with students. Also includes mobile video upload from your iPhone/iPad, and mobile streaming to students' devices :)

11. Grab a free teacher account from MediaCore http://mediacore.com - you can use this to upload videos in any size and format, and share them securely with students. Also includes mobile video upload from your iPhone/iPad, and mobile streaming to students' devices :)

12. Grab a free teacher account from MediaCore http://mediacore.com - you can use this to upload videos in any size and format, and share them either publicly, or securely with logins for students. Also includes mobile video upload from your iPhone/iPad, and mobile streaming to students' devices :)