1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Large class with two teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, May 24, 2012.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What do you think of a large class around the 40 mark with two teachers, in the same room? It sounds good to me as it's 1:20, but in reality does it work well? Thanks

2. mystery10

What do you think of a large class around the 40 mark with two teachers, in the same room? It sounds good to me as it's 1:20, but in reality does it work well? Thanks

3. I'd be amazed if this even worked for a term. In my opinion, this is yet another 'good on paper' idea i'm afraid. 2 teachers sharing a class?? If there are 2 teachers, why can't you make 2 classes? I can't really imagine a situation where this would be harmonious i'm afraid.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Year group?
    The first question has to be whether you have a suitably large room (which probably rules it out in plenty of schools).

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

How old are the chhildren
    How is it organized?
    What are the accoustics like?

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Im not sure who benefits from these so called 'superclasses' and struggle to see the point!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

whoops: how old are the children?

8. mystery10

Years 3 and 4 combined.
    Would you see it working if, for example, one teacher took the lesson, whatever it was, and the other one provided some small group input?

9. mystery10

Oh and the room - it would be packed with that number of children. Good acoustics - no echo. One whiteboard.

10. cally1980

I find it distracting enough when my ta does that with a small group in a class of 30 personally! In a class of 40 you could reasonably expect about 25% to be LA, thats 10 children working in a group alongside main teaching. Wouldn't it be better to have 2 different classes of 20, or flexible sets of 20 teach for Maths & Lit? Or a 'normal' sized class of 30 with a teacher running interventions/TA supporting a smaller group during main teaching.

11. mystery10

I think the problem is that there isn't another classroom. But maybe they could use the hall part of the day for part of the large class; but there would still be the same problem the rest of the day as they couldn't use the hall all day as it's needed for other things.

12. cally1980

So are there not enough classrooms for classes? In that case they need to get themselves a protable classroom or something!

13. cally1980

*portable

14. mystery10

I think that they are hoping to build an extension that will include a proper classroom, but it leaves them with an academic year without the much needed extra classroom; this class of 40 ish with two teachers would be an interim measure for one academic year.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Being taught in the hall would be a little bit like being treated on a trolley, I reckon. There would be no sense of repose and it would drive me mad as a teacher or pupil.
    Is the school expanding or shrinking?

Yes, it's acoustics. I thought accoustics looked wrong but was too lazy to check. [​IMG]