1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Large cast play for girls' school (11-16)

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by worksleepwork, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hello!
    I'm doing a school play (rather than musical) next year and am really excited as that's where my heart lies, so I'm eager to pick something great that will make staff and kids appreciate straight plays, which of course has made my mind go blank and now I can't fix on anything and am swimming around in indecision, would very much appreciate your advice!
    My dream production is Medea, but suspect the subject matter won't be appreciated. Love the sound of The Magdalen Whitewash but as a Catholic school again not sure will go down well! Am also considering Our Country's Good. Have realised through this process most of my favourite plays tend to be all about death and destruction and often not suitable for an 11-16 school, so any more light-hearted suggestions would be much appreciated! (I love the Government Inspector but worry it's too male.)

Thanks so much!

2. Hello!
    I'm doing a school play (rather than musical) next year and am really excited as that's where my heart lies, so I'm eager to pick something great that will make staff and kids appreciate straight plays, which of course has made my mind go blank and now I can't fix on anything and am swimming around in indecision, would very much appreciate your advice!
    My dream production is Medea, but suspect the subject matter won't be appreciated. Love the sound of The Magdalen Whitewash but as a Catholic school again not sure will go down well! Am also considering Our Country's Good. Have realised through this process most of my favourite plays tend to be all about death and destruction and often not suitable for an 11-16 school, so any more light-hearted suggestions would be much appreciated! (I love the Government Inspector but worry it's too male.)

Thanks so much!

3. I really love Lord of The Flies (Nigel Williams, adapted from Golding) and my colleague and I have always dreamed of an all-female version. Not sure how that would go down performing rights wise, because the gender references would have to change, but lots of opportunities for a big cast of shipwrecked schoolchildren. It's not light-hearted though really.
    Alice in Wonderland could work well with all girls, or you could take them to see Propeller do their all-male Winter's Tale which is on tour at the moment and then embark on an all-female Shakespeare play.
    I see what you mean, my mind's gone blank too!

4. The Nutting Plays and / or The Farmhouse Plays can be performed by casts of any age, any size, any gender mix and have been successfully performed by all-female groups; the author is a teacher in a single sex school.
    As a bonus - they are very good, verging on the brilliant.
    There's even a free play as a taster.

5. I've put a message in your in-box. My apologies but I pushed the 'be my friend button' by mistake so ignore that.

6. Thank you very much! Sorry for slow response it's been play week here so only just got back onto the computer. Lots of interesting ideas for me to look into. Mrgroom will email you. Thanks all!

7. matthewcoe

matthewcoe New commenter

Have you considered Animal Farm the play? Another really good play I produced once was The Last Resort,The Trojan Women! The Gut Girls. Why not do a Pick N Mix night of different plays. You could do Be My Baby, The Gut Girls.