1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laptops For Teachers

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by MrsGFuller, Jul 12, 2019.

1. MrsGFuller

MrsGFuller New commenter

Morning all, so how many schools are not replacing/ issuing laptops for teachers?
    It seems unfair we are expected to work from our own.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Long ago we decided to issue laptops on a very limited basis: staff who had to work away from a desk. All classrooms and offices equipped with desktops. Life cycle of desktops is much longer and maintenance costs far less. Document and resource storage on the network with effective security and also effective backup (which is frequently missing when people store data on laptops).
    Result the odd grumble but then satisfaction that we had a reasonably failsafe and reliable system.
    With VPN access to our network all software will work remotely; so will storage, messaging and so on.

It's not reasonable to expect people to use their own equipment at work.

1 person likes this.
  3. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

But I must work at home but have to provide my own pc which has to fit school requirements to use their systems. Is that right?

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If your school system is set up right, just about any computer will do, even clunky old ones.

It's arguable that just about everyone owns a computer; the argument goes on to ask - would you expect the school to provide a desk and chair at home for you as well. It's also arguable that you don't have to work at home: you could stay in school to work (yes I know what you'll say!).

5. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

They require you to have certain software installed. And specific anti-virus programs..... but it is my pc that I have bought.

I disagree. The building is locked early (to save on caretaking costs) so we have to work at home. For much of this year they couldn't even provide a pc that worked in school so I had to bring my own in (or not be able to get my work done).

At our place staff bring their own machines in and use them in their teaching as the school systems are so slow as to be unusable. I have bought hardware to use in school and to teach with as there was no money in the budget. The joys of working in a struggling school

6. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

What about - theoretically - Staff who do not wish to use their home computers for school work for security reasons? Or who actually don’t have a home computer?

7. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Seems like a data protection nightmare for the school - I will not allow the school any access to my personal devices, but do allow friends and family to use them - as soon as I am directed to use my own devices then whoever makes that directive would have to accept responsibility for any data breach that occurs.

Only if the school provides the device can the school make rules about how the device is configured and used.

Stiltskin likes this.
  8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

With the right software at the school end, all you need is a browser on your own computer, and no data is processed or stored on it: you are using it as a remote access terminal to the school.

Stiltskin likes this.
  9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

If the school wants specific requirements then they should be supplying it. As @Skeoch says though, properly set up there shouldn't be a specific need. I am guessing most of the things needing to be done could probably be done through a Chromebook. These would be cheaper for the school to provide teachers, have a longer lifespan and they can manage all of them centrally and easily.

Whoever is managing your IT infrastructure sounds like they need some extra training and support. Teachers bringing in their own devices is not a solution and potentially a GDPR nightmare waiting to happen.

If things are that bad financially they really need to talk to their LA or the DfE because it is the students who are going to suffer in the long term.