1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laptop Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    This morning before work I was on my laptop (with it on my knee), I stood up to go into the kitchen and went to put the laptop on the floor.
    However, as I was about to put the laptop down, it slipped out of my hand a bit and landed on the floor open.
    Luckily, it landed the right way up however it has a problem!
    The screen has gone all funny and does not display anything! The laptop works as normal when I plug it into my Desktop PC monitor.
    The model of the laptop is an Acer Aspire 5532.
    I have been looking at replacement screens, they cost around £50 - is this the problem or not?
    Thanks
    Dan

2. Below is a link to a picture of how my laptop screen now appears.
    CLICK HERE!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

oops

4. Below is a link to the picture if you don't have Facebook.
    CLICK HERE

5. yes have the screen replaced it may be covered on your house insurance?

I dropped a remote control and it hit my macbook and the screen looked just like yours now does, but thankfully it was covered on my house insurance and all got sorted through there, they came and picked it up, fixed the screen and delivered it back to me.

Hope this helps!
    Sam

6. I was going to say it may not be the screen.....but seeing the piccie....it is. :¬))

7. Hi thanks for your reply sam.
    My sister did something similar to me with her laptop a few years ago and got a new laptop through the house insurance.
    However, she bought a new screen herself and fixed the broken laptop - ending up with two!

8. Yeah, I'm probably best just to buy a new screen now!

9. I've just thought that this post and the picture has probably identified me!
    I was telling people at work today!

10. You'll be the talk of "The Industry" pub tonight. :¬))

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Quite pretty though - I suppose that's the liquid in the LCD leaking. I assume you have tried hitting it again and swearing at it just in case?

12. Yes I have! If I press down hard on the screen the liquid moves around too! [​IMG]

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Your screen has experienced a common hardware operating malfunction that those of is who work in ICT have a special technical term for.

It's f*cked.

You could try sourcing a replacement on eBay then visiting a friendly local computer repair business, but if it's covered by insurance I'd go down that route.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..slightly more worrying - the left hand hinge that holds the screen to the base appears to be damaged. Have you checked that it's all it should be?

15. The hinge clips on and off, it's back on now luckily!
    Thanks for your advice everyone!