1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laptop recommendations

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Bell101, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi there, I am looking to purchase up to 30 laptops for classrooms in our school. They will need to be as reliable as possible, not overly advanced (as the most resource intensive program which will be run on them is movie maker) but most important of all must be as cheap as possible!

Does anyone use any particular supplier or companies who would do a good deal on these?

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Hi there, I am looking to purchase up to 30 laptops for classrooms in our school. They will need to be as reliable as possible, not overly advanced (as the most resource intensive program which will be run on them is movie maker) but most important of all must be as cheap as possible!

Does anyone use any particular supplier or companies who would do a good deal on these?

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3. Bargain hard. Whatever you go for, you can get things thrown in and 'extra' price reductions - be very cheeky and always say that you will discuss whatever offer they make and get back to them. Start discussions with companies early so there is plenty of time for you to put in silly offers on price and then wait while they get back to you. I thought I would try it on with the business section of PC World a few months ago when ordering 20 Acer laptops and was pleasently surprised how far the price dropped.
    One piece of advice about spec - be very clear what you want the laptops for, then work out the right spec, then start looking. A good website to look at is www.reevoo.com as a starting point.

4. Very useful advice thank you very much. Just out of interest, do you use laptops within the classroom or as part of a suite? How do you find the use of laptops in the classroom? positives vs negatives?

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Can't add much to previous poster on what to do.
    Laptops are more expensive per device to purchase than a desktop to get the same performance.
    There are different issues with managing them than there are desktops. Personally if it's in a suite I'd go desktop everytime. However for portability and other reasons laptops work in many, many schools.
    Three main extra bits of advice I'd give with laptops:
    • Get students and staff into good habits when getting them out/putting them away.
    • Have a named person responsible for ensuring they're charged of an evening.
    • Check and double check the warranties.