1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laptop or tablet

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by foxtail3, Sep 29, 2015.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Can I expect that my tablet will perform the same function as a laptop? I can't 'hover' over things, I can only use photos from my own albums and I don't seem to be able to access 'points.'

If that's usual, that's fine, but I just want to know if I am being a Luddite and not using it properly.

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

FWIW.My experience is...
    I have both and I could manage without the tablet but not the laptop.
    As was explained to me at a workshop on tablets and other things. A tablet is designed for accessing information rather than putting it in (IYSWIM). Reading rather than writing. I'm sure that I am not using all the functions possible -but then ICBA to fiddle round with it when a laptop does it (and more) more easily for me. My tablet is becoming an expensive kindle - used for reading when travelling.

It's not about being a Luddite rather about what you want it for.

marlin likes this.
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

You can't hover because there's no mouse pointer, but it would be foolish of a web-site not to take account of mobile users these days. You might also struggle to "drag and drop" on web-pages but, again, the designers should accommodate touch-screen users.

I'm not sure what you mean by the other points. Android is much less limited than the iPad in terms of file-handling - you can download files, keep them in folders, etc. You can also use apps like ES File Explorer to browse network shares on other computers, servers, etc. iOS doesn't give you access to the filing system.

What do you mean by "points"?

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Apparently, you get 'points' on this site now as well as trophies! I can see that I have trophies, but not points. In TES Rosaline's example in the 'how to' pages, it shows a number of features, including points. I don't have the same screen and wonder if it's because I use the tablet. If so, I'll have to make do because I can't afford and don't really need, a laptop.

Thanks for the replies.

It would be great if TES coild give me a definitive!

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

The site is now more "responsive", which means that it adapts the layout to fit your screen. Is it quite a small tablet? It sounds like you might be getting more of a phone-type view. You could try turning the tablet to landscape orientation (if it isn't already) to see if that makes a difference.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It's an iPad Air, so size is not an issue. I 'll just have to keep experimenting I guess. Thank you for the responses.