1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laptop lease schemes for learners

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by spc, Jun 12, 2009.

1. spc

spc

Are there any schools out there who have leased or subsidized the purchase of laptops for students. We are looking at the option of this for sixth form students and want to see what others experiences are.

We have seen detailed from syscap and ergo, any schools used these schemes?

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

SPC

2. I know someone who works in Syscap who would be a good contact- very reliable. Let me know if your interested in his details misssarahstephens@hotmail.com

3. I have ran a scheme with Syscap twice and will probably do so again this year.

Lease2Own scheme which allowed students in Year 10 and Sixth form to lease a laptop over 22 months and at the end of the scheme the laptop belonged to them. On the two occasions we have ran the scheme we had 25 - 30 students taking part.

You will need to consider having good warranty / insurance with the laptops as you don't want this to be a full time job for your school maintaining them. Basically we have told all students if its a hardware issue we will send them off to HP, if its a software issue we won't fix it but reimage it back to the students as it was when they first received the laptop. It is their responsibility to have backed up all work etc.

We allow the students to bring the laptops in to school anytime too acceessour wireless network.

4. Hi Sylv3r
    Your advice sounds very useful to us...
    I have been given a similar task by the Head recently and I am now looking for some reference school who have some good experience on this. Are you still running the scheme in your place? Is it possible to pay a visit if we are not far way? BTW we are based in Kent.
    many thanks!
    xiaoborobertyang