1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

laptop dilemma!

Discussion in 'Music' started by floyd1985, Jun 1, 2011.

1. hello music teachers!
    i am currently looking at buying a laptop (to use primarily for work needs - listening to coursework, watching coursework videos for btec, lesson planning, etc. etc. etc.!!) and wondered what the best thing around at the moment is?
    i've been using a macbook pro recently and although people have said it's brill for music teaching because of garageband, logic, etc. i can't actually save anything on to my hard drive which is a massive need, as all my schemes of work, etc. are stored on there! is this the same with all macbooks or is there a setting i need to change??
    anyway, what i'm saying is, is the macbook the best option for music teachers or would i just be better with a none apple product?! please help cos i'm not a techy! if a mac is the best way, is there anyway of paying it off monthly or would i have to have no life for around a decade?! thankyou :)

2. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

dont your school provide you with a laptop? If you are using it mainly for school then they should. I thought it was afairly standard thing for schools to provide thier teachers.

As for a mac - you can get a top spec PC with better spec/performance for less money.

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Lol.

4. I'm confused as to why you can't save anything onto your hard drive. Is it a MacBook pro you have or a MacBook air? Why not just buy an external hard drive to go with it and save yourself a lot of money?

5. FGD

FGD

I teach AS Music Technology and the centre we teach at use Macs so I had to persuade my school that I needed a MacBook Pro so I could learn how to use Logic. After a lot of battling and arguments I was allowed to purchase two of them. I use it for both home and work, even though we bought an iMac at home since I got the MacBook Pro. I agree with JennyMus, not sure why you can't save anything to your hard drive? I have not had a problem linking up with either my home network, schools network or the centre where I teach the As Music Tech.

Since going over to Mac, I will never go back again as I find them a much easier and reliable machine for every thing. Yes they are ex[pensive but they are definitely worth the money.

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

7. it is a macbook pro and i have got an external hard drive - it won't save anything onto there, but i just wonder if something's been put on there by our IT people to stop me saving things on there!!! madness! why do people make things more tricky! annoyance! right, well i'll get in touch with my new school and see what the deal is there with borrowing laptops because i need something to work on over the summer holidays otherwise i'll be a very unorganised new HoD!!! i am very tempted to get a macbook pro though even if they don't provide me with one although i'll have to put my wedding/house/life on hold i think if i am to buy one! hehe!
    thanks for all your help people [​IMG]

8. Get a netbook. For 99% of what you want to do it is absolutely fine.
    Save up and spend the money you would have spent on the interest on a more expensive machine.
    In the short term get an external hard disk to sort your space needs.

9. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Please explain why you Lol. I have had a school provided laptop for 8 years. my wife has one from her school. She had one from her previous school. I know 3 teachers who work at other schools locally - they are all provided with laptops. These are all bog standard state schools. We are livng in the 12st century. Are you still using chalk?

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I'm sure Mr Bronson can defend himself, but in my experience not all schools provide teachers with laptops. The school where I did most of my teaching and still do supply work at is a 4 form entry middle school and no laptops are provided to any teacher for taking home. Most IWB are connected to desktop computers.

11. i'm glad you've said that about IT depts! that was my only conclusion 'cos everyone else i've spoken to has said how weird it is that i can't save anything to my external hard drive. i think i'm going to have to take your advice and join the dark side... it really will be in terms of my bank account...bring it on!! [​IMG]

12. I love my macbook - I have had it for 3 years now - it is so easy to use for work. don't forget that you can get an educational discount.