1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laptop battery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cinnamonsquare, Aug 16, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I need some shopping advice please.

My laptop battery is on the way out - manages about 20mins from full charge. However Dell want me to pay nearly £150 for a new one. I promptly googled instead, but am so confused!

Please can someone explain what would be the best voltage and capacity? Is a 4 cell sufficient or would a 9 cell be better? If I get a different one to the one currently in the laptop (cell/capacity-wise) will it fit? Are they all the same size?

Help please! I am so much more used to double As!

2. cinnamonsquare

I need some shopping advice please.

My laptop battery is on the way out - manages about 20mins from full charge. However Dell want me to pay nearly £150 for a new one. I promptly googled instead, but am so confused!

Please can someone explain what would be the best voltage and capacity? Is a 4 cell sufficient or would a 9 cell be better? If I get a different one to the one currently in the laptop (cell/capacity-wise) will it fit? Are they all the same size?

Help please! I am so much more used to double As!

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

What specific laptop do you have? It is easy to make a mistake as some batteries that seem to fit the description may not be recognised by the software and so not charge.

4. suefla

suefla New commenter

The battery on our laptop died. We ordered a new one from one of the power sellers on ebay for about 1/6th the dell price. It's been great.

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

- me too. Go for a seller with good feedback from lots of people.

6. cinnamonsquare

It's a dell inspiron 1525

Hadn't thought of looking on eBay, thanks will check that out too.

7. In the meantime the battery on my macbook is four years old or more and has been in constant use. Last week it started to show a 'replace battery' message and it seemed it was on the way out. However, after some googling I followed instructions to recalibrate it and now it appears to be working okay again: message has vanished. Might be worth a try.

8. To calibrate the battery:
    1. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter and fully charge the MacBook or MacBook Pro battery until the light on the
    MagSafe connector changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully
    charged.
    2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer. You may use your computer
    during this time as long as the power adapter is plugged in.
    3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer on and start using it with battery power. When the battery's
    charge gets low, you?ll see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
    4. Continue to keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep. Save your work and close all applications
    when the battery's charge gets low and before the computer goes to sleep.
    5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
    6. Reconnect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged. You may use your
    computer during this time.
    Repeat the calibration process every two months or so to keep the battery fully functioning. If you use your
    MacBook or MacBook Pro infrequently, it?s best to recalibrate the battery at least once a month.

9. I agree ebay would be a good place to start. I have had my laptop coming up to 2 years now and it's getting worse as the days go by - it wasn't cheap either!
    A few weeks ago the battery wasn't charging when plugged in despite the light being on on the power box, but I tried a friends and it worked so I bought a new charger from ebay for a fiver. My friend has the same laptop and the same problem happened to her a few weeks before me - she paid £50 for a new charger from a shop (which melted after a few days).
    Now my laptop as a new trick and tha battery icon has the big red cross telling me to replace the battery. Seeing as just using the laptop is now a big effort I don' think I'm going to bother replacing anymore parts and might as well just invest in a new one, the only problem being I have no money at the minute! Looks like I'll be using it until the day it refuses to come on at all [​IMG] (which is probably not that far away)

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Both 9 cell and 4 cell are compatible with your laptop. A 4 cell battery will not operate without recharge for as long as a 9 cell that's all. If you buy a cheap one, make sure you run it fully down and recharge a couple of times it to check it out. Amazon do cheap 3rd party batts that may be worth a punt, and usually you can return anything that doesn't work.