1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lanyards!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Hattiesmores753, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Hattiesmores753

Hattiesmores753 New commenter

I work in a primary school where we get issued with boring lanyard with the school name on. Does anyone think I will get away with wearing the following lanyard???:
    [​IMG]

2. Hattiesmores753

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Try it and see! I have never worn mine and nobody seems to notice. I might get a fancy one now and try it out.

ajrowing likes this.
  4. Hattiesmores753

I might try it as it is nowhere in any policy that we have to wear the school lanyard, it just says that we have to have our ID card on "a lanyard".

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have a wide range of lanyards, mainly different football or rugby team ones but also “fun” ones too. No one minds, but then we have tattoos and funky hair colours too! Depends on the ethos in the school, what’s yours like?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Some places use the colour of the lanyard to identify you. Anyone without a lanyard or with the wrong colour must be challenged.

7. Hattiesmores753

We don't have colour coded lanyards for staff at our school.

8. Hattiesmores753

Ours is more laid back and staff are all friends with each other.

BetterNow likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Just take it in and ask. May I wear this lanyard?. If the answer is yes wear it. If the answer is no don’t.

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I would just wear it. It's unlikely anyone will challenge you over it, but if they do, you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

chelsea2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

We do. One member of staff was given a different one as a present (same colour, but added sparkle). She was asked to change it back on day one.

TheoGriff and ajrowing like this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The children will like it.

Dragonlady30 and Lalad like this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Pathetic.
    Some 'leaders' seem to have forgotten the purpose of a school is to educate, not control.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

We had different coloured lanyards to denote different safeguarding statuses. eg those fully dbs checked (ie staff) were a different colour to those who were visitors and must at all times be accompanied by a dbs checked member of staff. A third colour was for those authorised to be on site but not to communicate or in certain areas (ie ones where pupils would be) eg contractors.
    Year 12/13, who didn’t wearable uniform, had a 4th colour.

Made it easy to challenge (or accompany ) anyone if necessary.

Seemed sensible to me. Lanyard colours are more visible than a name on a card. Introducing different lanyards would have caused confusion.

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

These things are great in theory but I do wonder how well they actually work. Do people challenge those with the wrong coloured lanyard? Or not challenge people just because they have the right coloured lanyard.

16. lizziescat

it worked.

probably in the same way you would challenge someone without a lanyard or ID. Challenge doesn't have to be aggressive just a 'can I help you. Are you lost ' etc

edit: lanyards did of course have the schools name on, making it less likely that someone could just happen to bring their own, which might be an issue in having your own "fun" one.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    TheoGriff likes this.
  17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

How did the colour of the lanyard stop children taking to the non-safeguarded person?

WB likes this.
  18. lizziescat

It didn’t. It stopped contractors talking to children (or ignoring them if children did try to talk) If seen it would have been reported to their site manager. (I’m not sure ii ever happened, they were too busy building stuff).
    We had builders etc on site, but in a fenced off area where they were building a new block. It would have been possible to talk through the chain link fence. At certain times they might have needed to walk through the main part of the school site but these were restricted eg before 8am /after 4.30. Similar provisions were in place for areas of refurbishments eg corridor temporarily blocked off, any other movement to be when no pupils were around eg lesson time

The point about having lanyards was to identify them as part of the relevant company and also to allow them to move around the site when appropriate.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    TheoGriff likes this.
  19. lizziescat

Or if you meant visitors to the school - these were often in school in order to talk to the children but as they were always accompanied by a member of staff, they were supervised.
    Thus any potential access/safeguarding issue on site was averted

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just a word of warning to lanyard wearers.

Take them off when in the car. There have been a couple of cases of drivers still wearing their work lanyard being involved in motor accidents where the inflating airbag has pushed the metal clip (and tag) into the chest cavity.