1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lansoprazole

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by copycat, May 31, 2012.

1. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Hi
    I have just been prescribed these for acid reflux but not sure if I have to take all the packet or just till the symptons have gone. Does anyone know?
    Also have been sent an appointment for an endoscopy . Am very worried about this especially as the appointment came through very quickly so am now thinking the worst even though I have been told it's because they've had lots of cancellations.
    Has anyone had one of these? Did you have sedation or just the throat spray? GP says it is not very pleasant so I'm guessing it is awful as they tend to play things down!
    Can anyone reassure me?
    Thanks.

2. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Hi
    I have just been prescribed these for acid reflux but not sure if I have to take all the packet or just till the symptons have gone. Does anyone know?
    Also have been sent an appointment for an endoscopy . Am very worried about this especially as the appointment came through very quickly so am now thinking the worst even though I have been told it's because they've had lots of cancellations.
    Has anyone had one of these? Did you have sedation or just the throat spray? GP says it is not very pleasant so I'm guessing it is awful as they tend to play things down!
    Can anyone reassure me?
    Thanks.

3. I had one under sedation, I knew absolutely nothing about it! Just woke up after a deep deep sleep, no pain, no sore throat just very dozey afterwards.

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I take lansoprazole when I'm on chemo - take early morning and I would keep taking them until you next see the doctor at least. They're very effective.
    I've not had an endoscopy, but I have had two bronchoscopies - similar down the throat. One very distressing because I didn't have enough sedation, and one fine with adequate sedation. ASk for it before your appointment I see no reason why you should go through any difficult procedure without it - it's not the same as anaesthetic re. dangers.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I had one down the throat and a colonoscopy in the same session! They thought they may as well do a job lot. I was given a sedative that made you forget the procedure. I've no idea if I fell asleep or if I experienced it and then forgot it! I do remember having some sort of flashback and could see myself on the table with the tube coming back out of my throat, but I could have dreamt it...

6. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

I can understand your worries gilldyson. No matter how many people tell us not to worry, we still do.
    I have also had to have a blood test but the GP didn't say what it was for. I get the feeling of food stuck in my throat too.
    When I visited the GP I had back ache too but I had felt it 'go' when lifting something and had taken Ibuprofen which I think had made the burning worse.
    However I only got the symptons for the first time at xmas and they cleared up quickly with the meds and then didn't reoccur till a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I start taking the meds it quickly clears up so I was a bit shocked to be sent for the tests.
    My Uncle passed away last year from oesophagal cancer so I am panicky.
    I would like to avoid sedation but don't think I am brave enough!
    I hope you get good news. Stress can be a factor too,
    Take care.

7. Thanks copycat, it sounds like you've got acid reflux - at least that's how it looks from having read lots of articles on google - I know you shouldn't but I can't resist. It does make you worry when you've lost someone close with oesophageal cancer - my dad died of it 3 years ago so I can understand how you feel. I too am panicky. I didn't really worry about the symptoms until the doctor said he was sending me for an endoscopy. I know I either have it or I don't - the test won't make it happen but it's still frightening when the doctor seems concerned too. My backache has got worse over the last month or so - high up where my bra strap goes across - but then I have been doing a lot of gardening lately - who knows?
    I've read that if they symptoms respond well to medication as yours seem to, then it's not a problem so you should be o.k. I should definitely go for sedation, it certainly worked for me last time.
    I wish you the very best of luck, it really does sound as if it's something non-serious = I will be thinking about you.
    Gill

8. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I suddenlyI developed problems swallowing a couple of years ago and was given omeprazole and sent for an endoscopy. I was told I would have to wait 8 weeks for the appointment but was feeling so worried that I looked into getting it done privately. Fortunately I got an earlier cancellation.
    I opted for local anaesthetic after considerable discussion with duty nurse - I was frightened of the idea of the gagging sensation and not being able to swallow the tube, but if I had been sedated the process would take longer and I was told I would not be able to discuss the findings with the doctor immediately after, which was important to me. It was not pleasant, but manageable. The nursing staff were so good humoured, and proceeded swiftly without chance to get panicky. The gagging sensation passed fairly quickly. Afterwards I was able to view the full endoscopy and see the problem myself. I had oesophagitis. It took a couple of months to settle down. I still take omeprazole which I don't like having to do. I think I probably have a weak sphincter muscle.
    Try not to worry too much about it but I know I did! I think the Internet sometimes has a lot to answer for, as it can feed your fears.

9. Hi, I am on lansaprozole permanently after having acid reflux and an endoscopy. They found I had a hiatus hernia which basically means that the valve at the top of the stomach doesn't work properly. There was scarring on my oesophagus due to acid damage. I had sedation with the endoscopy, and the only bit I remember was just the last minute when they removed the tube from my mouth. It was not unpleasant. I had the feedback about one hour later when I was fully awake again. There were no ill-effects. If I forget to take my tablet the symptoms immediately return. I occasionally get a bit of acidity if I drink too much coffee have too much liquid eg hot soup. Chocolate seems to be a bit of a trigger too.[​IMG]

10. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Let us know how it goes for you.
    The fact that it is classed as non urgent must be quite reassuring. I found out yesterday that mine was an urgent referral.
    Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine for you.

11. I take lansoprazole to line the tummy and protect it from naprosen. Naprosen is a very strong NSAID much like taking many Ibruprofen. I have this for arthritis. I can tell you the lansoprazole is fine and protects your tummy, although I have been advised that they do not protect your gut after the stomach.
    For anyone out there taking ibruprofen or naproxen/voltarol - make sure you eat when you take it - and more than just a biscuit! I ended up being very ill with abcesses, I had many operations in a few months to try to repair the damage and was off work from January to June. A period of illness which still requires me to have regular time off for hospital appointments 4 year later!

12. I have taken Lansoprazole for the last four years, and before that omeprazole, ranitidine etc since i was 14. Take it 1/2 an hour to an hour before food as this stops the over production of the stomach acid, meaning when you digest the food excess acid is not thrown up. If you take it twice a day do so before breakfast and dinner. It does very little if taken last thing at night.Just doing this can make a remarkable difference. It took years for the doctors to tall me this and since then i haven't thrown up stomach acid in the middle of the night. Hope you find this some help

13. Only just seen this copycat. Really hope everything goes o.k. for you. Let us know what happens.
    Best of Luck!