1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Languages parent workshop

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by annarose93, Feb 19, 2018.

1. annarose93

annarose93 New commenter

Hello,

I am the subject leader for languages in our primary school. I have been asked to organise a parent workshop for languages and I have no idea where to start. Usually, during our parent workshops, the parents are invited in to take part in activities that they can also use at home. The workshops are for the whole school, I am struggling to think of practical and fun ideas for the children to do, particularly lower down in the school. Without having all the children sat down and being taught the new vocabulary, this seems very tricky!

Do any MFL teachers or primary school teachers have any ideas on activities that could be run in the classroom, either independently or with an adult?

So far the ideas that I have are...

- A game up on the IWB (from BBC primary languages)
    - A selection of dual language story books for the children to look at
    - Game such a snap (could be tricky if children have not been taught the vocabulary)

Thank you!

2. bonxie

bonxie Established commenter

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

What do the children already know? I would offer up activities which consolidate this yet wow the parents and show them how useful languages are.

Could you theme the afternoon, for example a French café? Give parents pretend euro money and the children have price lists, selling stuff to parents? They would use their number knowledge and you could differentiate this quite easily (give more challenging numbers to the more able). More vocab (I would like, please, thank you etc...) could be brought also. I have no idea about French btw!

Maybe if you want free-flow stations in the class, you could have a bingo game on one, a memory game on another, a shop/café, pictionary on another...

I would then bring it back to a whole group quiz, you could use kahoot on iPads if you have enough.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. karinejob

karinejob New commenter