1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Languages lesson teaching colours using Seurat

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by pixiejojo, May 10, 2011.

1. Hello fellow MFL teachers, I have just been working on revamping our schemes of work in French, German, Spanish and Italian. My motto has been to "step away from booking a hotel room" and to try to make MFL lessons more relevant.
    I started by looking at how we teach colours and then my PGCE student (who is awesome) told me that she had to do a CLIL lesson. So we combined the two and she presented a fabulous (or outstanding) lesson on Seurat and shades of colour and emotions related to colours. The students sat with a rapt expression on their faces, spoke to each other and us in French and then created some experimental Seurat type pieces, their use of colours and trying to create new names for colours was great. I wish I had come up with this years ago and must give Kate her credit. So now I am going to extend this lesson and look at Klimt and I wondered if the hispanists or Italian teachers had any ideas for artists we could use.

2. funambule

funambule New commenter

In Primary Languages some of us have been doing CLIL lessons using artists/art works. Miro fits, as does Matisse.
    Take a look at the West Sussex grid for learning for starters.
    One example of how good primary MFL practice has influenced secondary practice ?

3. Huge fan of our primary colleagues and the amazing work they have done! Thanks for reply I shall check out the site. I have just found excellent posters on a "posters for a pound" website for Miro and Seurat.

4. I am trying to prepare a lesson for my Y7 based on a painter and just saw your post. Is it possible to know which ressources you used?

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm sure your lesson was great but why would Seurat or Klimt( I don't even know what that is,to be honest) be more relevant than learning how to book an hotel room?