1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Language Teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ThatBikeGuy1994, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ThatBikeGuy1994

ThatBikeGuy1994 New commenter

Greetings, all.

I am currently teaching English in Japan and have been here for a couple of years. I may return to the UK in the future and instead of teaching English I would like to teach Japanese.

I have found a list of schools in the UK which teach Japanese as part of their curriculum.

Does anyone know what formal qualifications such a school would seek? I have the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) at N2 level which would grant me almost any job here in Japan and this level of Japanese would easily surpass anything taught at GCSE or A Level.
    If anyone has any information on what a school would seek, I'd be incredibly thankful.

I have tried contacting a range of schools via Email but im yet to have a reply. I would give them a call but international call charges are incredibly expensive here.

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

What are your qualifications and experience in teaching languages? Do you just have the two years teaching English? Do you have a CELTA, DELTA, Masters or PGCE? Do you have QTS?

For the JLPT, can you find out where N2 might fit on the CEFR? Can you get a piece of paper confirming the equivalence?

My guess is that most schools that teach Japanese will be nice private schools. Teachers don't move on much from nice private schools. Nice private schools also have people applying who have lots of experience and great qualifications - many of whom are native speakers.

Lastly, it would surprise me if there were many schools that had Japanese only positions. Which other languages can you offer? Any other subject areas that you are qualified to teach and experienced in? What about extra-curricular activities? Can you coach a sport? Put on a school play? What else can you offer these schools? I only ask because if you are an unqualified non Native inexperienced Japanese teacher, my guess is that you may have to offer some other kind of 'wow' factor to get schools to notice your CV.

sabrinakat and agathamorse like this.
  3. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

Yes. It is unlikely that even a private school will be able to give you a full timetable of Japanese. Do you have a degree ? Can you use this as a way of getting a job?

4. ThatBikeGuy1994

ThatBikeGuy1994 New commenter

Apologies for the huge delay in response! Thank you for your replies.

I do hold a 1st class degree in Drama. I have been a member of a Kabuki performance group whilst being in Japan, keeping my ties to the arts very close. I've had experience in the sound/lighting design, stage management and production of several theatre shows, too.
    I can't find any equivalency or the JLPT N2 in UK terms of qualifications, I'll keep searching for that one.
    The school I am at accepted a TEFL certification so I joined the school without a PGCE or QTS. I'll be jumping into a PGCE when I head back. Either Languages (depending on the reasons stated here) or English, mostly for the bursaries currently offered. I've heard it's not uncommon for those with Drama qualifications to teach Drama and English currently in the UK thus an English PGCE may help secure a position a little easier.

In terms of the 'wow' factor, I used to be a British Championship competitor in Ballroom and Latin American dance. I do teach that in the town I am currently residing in. I have been practicing Kendo and Kyuudo and have recently started to assist in coaching, too.

Prior to coming out to Japan, I worked within the apprenticeships sector of a college in mostly a pastoral/careers advice and guidance role.
    I'm happy to continue my career in education, the lack of promotion opportunities due to being a foreigner in Japan is enough to make me want to return to the UK.

yasf likes this.
  5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Sounds great :). You'll no doubt be a real asset to whichever school you join. There are plenty of Drama and dance jobs out there.

By all means go for the Japanese teacher position if that's your real passion, but I think that you'll have a much higher chance with Drama / Dance - with some English if you enjoy that too. The PGCE is a good idea.