1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Language SKILLS primary to secondary links

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by katechet, Feb 12, 2019.

1. katechet

katechet New commenter

Hello fellow Tes users,
    Please can I just float my idea out here and see if anyone can add anything to it or give some points of view on this one.
    I am a secondary MFL French and Spanish teacher. I would like to put together a project which would involve the local primary schools and would, across year 6, give the students some ‘Language skills’ activities - how to be a good listener, speaking skills and reading strategies etc. As students get placed into either French or Spanish when they arrive at secondary school I would rather make it so that the tasks apply to English activities OR use a variety of languages to show that the skills are transferable. I am looking to start it in September 2019 and am starting to put together my first full draft of ideas at the moment!
    Any input greately appreciated and thanks for reading! - Kate

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Your challenge is that this is not actually in your hands.
    The best examples I have seen done of this sort of thing have always been in collaboration with the schools themselves-some conferencing, some networking, some getting together.
    Whilst you are expert at the issues faced with secondary schools trying to tie together the disparate (and sometimes ridiculous) Primary experience called "Modern Languages", it is the Primary teachers themselves who know their cohorts, who know their expertise and local constraints.
    So the first thing I would do in your shoes is set up some sort of working party. include your feeder schools and one contact from each. You might find this will have to be a TA, and you will definitely find some resistance to your MFL angled ideas, due to lack of subject knowledge.
    But this is the only way you will ever get anything cohesive drafted together-in collaboration with those who work in Primary.
    If you are lucky, you can get released from your school to go out and visit, but somehow reading your post I don't see you enjoying that level of enabling...
    Whatever, do not start with your ideas, rather, start with putting your feelers out to see who will work with you and how. That is very important, otherwise you might end up feeling completely thwarted. Once you have achieved that, then it is those people who can bounce the ideas around, rather than us strangers here.

minnie me likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Asked and answered on the Secondary thread @katechet

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

at length...