1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Language problems

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mathsnmusic, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I have a teacher in my department (NQT, joined the school last November) who has English as a second language. Although I usually understand what she is saying, I sometimes struggle a bit. Unfortunately, I have had a number of complaints from students (and parents) who can't understand what she is saying. I have discussed this (sensitively) with the teacher and she has made an effort to try to make her explanations clearer, but there are still issues.
    She is proving herself to be a 'satisfactory' teacher but not particularly 'good', so unless we can help her to make a big improvement in her teaching, the head won't kep her on when her contract comes to and end in the summer. But in the meantime, I need to help her and the pupils to understand each other!
    Has anyone had similar experiences? And any solutions?

2. I have a teacher in my department (NQT, joined the school last November) who has English as a second language. Although I usually understand what she is saying, I sometimes struggle a bit. Unfortunately, I have had a number of complaints from students (and parents) who can't understand what she is saying. I have discussed this (sensitively) with the teacher and she has made an effort to try to make her explanations clearer, but there are still issues.
    She is proving herself to be a 'satisfactory' teacher but not particularly 'good', so unless we can help her to make a big improvement in her teaching, the head won't kep her on when her contract comes to and end in the summer. But in the meantime, I need to help her and the pupils to understand each other!
    Has anyone had similar experiences? And any solutions?

3. oh dear.
    master post had a lost 2 terms of maths with an eal teacher with a strong, incomprehensible accent - then the teacher went. master post is goodish at maths, but struggles in some areas, and found it very upsetting
    i'm afraid it isn't fair on the kids if she cannot explain clearly so that they can understand - if you struggle at times, what chance do they have?