1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Language in film

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by beijaflor, Mar 13, 2011.

1. beijaflor

beijaflor New commenter

Just need to get this of my chest and hopefully be able to calm down!

On friday I was showing children a 4 minute silent foreign film. The point is that children do not need to be able to understand the little language in it as the narrative is so easily recognisable. However, I left on the English subtitles....and in one scene a translation appeared "bloody hell", although this was not spoken aloud, and would have to have been read.

The children are year 3/4 and at least 2 children reacted....soon after it was hometime and end of the day. I have done nothing so far to speak to management etc, dreading any comebacks tomorrow.
    Help!

2. beijaflor

beijaflor New commenter

Just need to get this of my chest and hopefully be able to calm down!

On friday I was showing children a 4 minute silent foreign film. The point is that children do not need to be able to understand the little language in it as the narrative is so easily recognisable. However, I left on the English subtitles....and in one scene a translation appeared "bloody hell", although this was not spoken aloud, and would have to have been read.

The children are year 3/4 and at least 2 children reacted....soon after it was hometime and end of the day. I have done nothing so far to speak to management etc, dreading any comebacks tomorrow.
    Help!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Err did did no one tell you it is a good idea to watch the film beforehand with the subtitles on to check suitability?

I think you should get in early enough to pre-warn your HT that they are likely to get complaints from parents. Depending on your HT what they decide to do.

You can calm down in the sense it is a one off event (I assume you haven't done similar before) and so you are unlikely to be sacked or anything major. But being realistic, parents are likely to be unimpressed, as is your HT.

But do relax, it was a daft mistake, most people make them at some point.

4. Is bloody hell so very wicked.
    It is not desirable language but is it so offensive in C21.
    Your only lack of professional conduct is that you did not check your material. In a world when we are inundated with media resources that must happen to us all at times.
    You have evaluated the lesson in your plans for next time and your job is done.
    As long as you are satisfied that the rest of content of the film was suitable, I would not do anything but be prepared to justify your choices if challenged.

5. If you are an NQT then it might be worth mentioning this to your mentor to indicate that you have piked up on the error, otherwise I would just hold tight and see what happens.

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'd go for confessing to your line manager, unless they are the sort to overreact massively. It was an honest mistake, and owning up enables them to be prepared. I'm sure most parents, if contacting the school to complain, will understand if they are told "yes, this is how it happened, it was a mistake, and we are very sorry and it won't happen again". But if your line manager knows nothing, then they have to react on the spot, then come and find you and investigate, then call the parents back: they'll feel wrong-footed and embarrassed, and it's all a bit more awkward.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In a primary classroom yes!

8. beijaflor

beijaflor New commenter

I agree, it's not the kind of language I'm comfortable with hence why I'm so embarrassed and anxious.
    However, honesty is the best policy, and I will be in early to speak to Deputy....It was an honest mistake, I had previously used the resource without the subtitles....but trust me, I have learnt my lesson, and will be very cautious from now on....
    Many thanks for your responses, as the saying goes, a problem shared.... x