1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Language Colleges

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MrsMacPLatt, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Dear Joe,

My son goes to a language college which imposes French AND another language (Spanish, Italian or German) on its students from Years 7-9 then says it can only muster about 5 students (150 in each year so 5% of the current Year 9s going into Year 10) to take two languages at GCSE which they have to wait till the end of Year 11 to take - so no taking languages early if they are gifted at languages. The five double linguists do not represent a viable group so they have to take their second language as an "after school club".

I find this appalling considering the students have already had three years of two languages. I'm not sure what it says about the teaching at the school or the school's priorities.

Another Language College down the road which only makes one language compulsory from Years 7-9 but encourages students with linguistic flair (not sure how they define this) to take a second language (either Spanish or German) from Year 8 into Year 9. They manage to get 20% of each year group to take 2 languages through to GCSE and get really excellent results by taking their first language in Year 10 and their second in Year 11.

I hope I have explained this clearly.

Any ideas what might be different in the two schools' teaching or approaches to languages.