1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Language choices for PGCE

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by morkee, Nov 12, 2011.

1. morkee

morkee New commenter

Hi there, I'd like to see what the general consensus is on what languages are best/good enough to offer at PGCE and in order to stand a good chance of finding a job afterwards.

Currently, I'm a student of French and Russian at university and I'm looking to apply for PGCE courses from next September. Of course with French I have nothing to worry about, but Russian is obviously a less orthodox choice and I worry that this may have become a barrier to getting onto a PGCE.

In my situation, what could you suggest? I am currently considering learning German (a language I've always wanted to know!) and trying to get to A-Level standard with that. Is this wise? What else should I be considering?
    Thank you very much

2. derekdalek

derekdalek New commenter

I'm afraid I dont agree with Stuart. Spanish/French combination seems to be what schools want.
    Personally, I'm all for German being taught, even though I dont speak it. I'd love to be able to study it but I've no time to learn.
    Many local schools near me (Im in the southeast) have either dropped it in favour of Spanish or are planning to.
    The only places that seem to want anything other than French, Spanish and a little bit of German are in the private sector.
    Good luck with your application.

3. French will get you that job. As for the second language I am a Germanist and I would be very suspicious of someone who had not done it at Uni even for KS3 and I would not emply that person probably for a post. Also there are so few jobs now that I have my pick of applicants with degrees. I would big up the Russian. Hopefully some schools would see it as a real winner- I certainly would although whether SLT would is another story...

4. Why so?

5. because it would be unlikely that they had the level of language necessary to teach it effectively. I accept that there are sometimes people who have excellent skills and no formal qualification but sadly I now find that even many recent graduates in German are not of the standard I would expect. There are so many unemployed German teachers out there with experience and qualifications- why would I make do with second best?

6. Sorry I misread your post. I agree with you. All this 'learn Spanish over the summer' or 'keeping one page ahead of the kids' nonsense is very harmful.